Gen: What are your building preferences?

The only 1/72 Italian WWI big bomber was done a few years ago by Meikraft, the Caproni Ca.3. I did a lot of the research, instruction sheets and decal decisions. It was expensive then and now, with Meikraft and it's owner deceased, they can fetch a pretty penny, over $100 usually.

Of course if you are only building occasional models try looking at it this way: Buy five $20 models and take five months to build them or one Meikraft Caproni Ca.3 and take six months to build it.:-)

It was predominanently injection molded with several cast metal parts, included rigging material (two of the six months worth of work), wood veneer and superb decals. Have seen them of e-bay fin the $100 range.

The Roden line, which started as Toko, has a very large range of superb 1/72 WWI kits from the Gotha bomber and just released Felixstowe to their wonderful line of fighters.

If you are looking for particular subjects and can't subscribe to ESM 72 (Vol.6, #3 and #4 covered everything ever produced on WWI subjects with updates continuing through Vol.7) just post a request here and I (along with several others) will be happy to help you find them.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Says you. I tried to cut off a gun for an Encore Yak, got part way done and snap went the part. I don't pretend to be a surgeon, but I just find regular plastic to be more forgiving.

Reply to
SamVanga

Gasp. Choke. Gurgle. Gulp. .

THAT is just a pure pity. I mean, I wish there were more reasonably priced options .

Oddly enough, I see the logic (and the humor). But, I balk at the idea of a

1/72 scale kit at a hundred. Of course, I'm still coming to grips with the idea of such for $30.

I have one of the first Gothas they released in storage (need more practice before risking it under my blade and brush). I see they have a couple more recent ones now and need to get them.

How much would these cost? I got a new car this year (a year earlier than budgeted for originally), but I might be able to swing it.

Reply to
SamVanga

The Roden (ex-Toko kits are now available from Eastern Express) are usually under $10 and are a serious value for the money. The best part about them is the tiny little parts are injection molded in three dimensions. Etched metal parts are great, but they are often flat where they should have some body to them.

I actually spent over $100 for a 1/72 B-24 diecast from Corgi. I never would have put out the money, but I get to fly Collings' "Dragon" once in awhile and I just couldn't stand missing it. Now, if they did their B-17G in "Nine-O-Nine" markings they would get more of my money. Instant gratification can be expensive. :-)

An ESM 72 subscription is $25, $30 outside the U.S. You would want Vol.6 as it contains two entire issues of WWI subjects. You may want to extend to Vol.7 eventually for the many updates.

Address is:

MAI/ESM 72 P.O.Box 554 Corte Madera, California

94976.

Like I said before, let us know what subject you would like to see and we'll climb over each other to fill you in.

Happy modeling,

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

How did you like it? I've never done resin before but I've considered buying either the RealSpace CSM or Skylab set for the Airfix Saturn V.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

My first resin kit was a Czech Master Schneider SH.38 glider. I wanted something simple to practice a new rigging material.

It was simple, all right. Frame, wing, seat, horizontal tail. Scratch building the controls and jazzing up the seat netted nice results and the rigging turned out to be a snap.

Since then I've done several cast resin models (and manufactured several more). So far my favorite is the Muroc Models Northrop GB-1. Bright yellow, looks like a combination Jetson's/Archie roadster. The tall antenna just cries out for a

1/72 racoon tail.

Any problem with warped parts have been solved with the hot water treatment. Found out to avoid files, use multi-grade emery boards for best results.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72