Gen: What are your building preferences?

SamVanga wrote:

1/25 cars 1/100 - 1/350 ships - the bigger the better.

No, but I my interest is in old tall sailing ships and 50's-60's car models.

Nope.
On 9 Nov 2003 23:07:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nycc.edu (Robert A. Walker) wrote:

How did you like it? I've never done resin before but I've considered buying either the RealSpace CSM or Skylab set for the Airfix Saturn V.
My first resin kit was a Czech Master Schneider SH.38 glider. I wanted something simple to practice a new rigging material.
It was simple, all right. Frame, wing, seat, horizontal tail. Scratch building the controls and jazzing up the seat netted nice results and the rigging turned out to be a snap.
Since then I've done several cast resin models (and manufactured several more). So far my favorite is the Muroc Models Northrop GB-1. Bright yellow, looks like a combination Jetson's/Archie roadster. The tall antenna just cries out for a 1/72 racoon tail.
Any problem with warped parts have been solved with the hot water treatment. Found out to avoid files, use multi-grade emery boards for best results.
Tom
1. 1/72 for myself (publishing ESM 72 helps take the pain out of buying all those kits:-). Any scale for clients.
2.I build whatever catches my interest. 1/72 allows a huge range of selections, many of which are available only in 1/72 scale. Well over 12,000 kits and models have been produced over the years, many times more than any other scale. BTW, 1100 of these are WWI subjects.
3.Used to produce resin kits, now I have them made for me. I find them a bit of a challenge, but the increase in subjects is certainly worth it. Vacuforms, on the other hand, have never appealed to me. The sole exception comes in doing a WWI aircraft as I find vacuformed wings to be far closer to scale than most injection molded or resin kits. I have never used etched metal or resin detailing sets until my current Yak-11 project.
I find that the current level of detail in kits from Roden, etc. to be superior to most etched metal sets as they are three dimensional, not flat.
Tom

I dearly wish I could find more than the usual suspects (ex. Dr I and Sopwith -whatever-). Trying to find any of the Italian bombers (in 1/72) has proven impossible for me to date. Although, I confess, I haven't exactly devoted myself to the hunt, just casual.
I know the resin is good stuff for detail. But I just purely hate those THINK sprues and trying to detach fine/small parts like machine guns. Even pretty solid things like wheels seem brittle (I'm used to being able to use my cutters/knife and moving right along).
A razorsaw is easy to master.
SamVanga wrote:

Says you. I tried to cut off a gun for an Encore Yak, got part way done and snap went the part. I don't pretend to be a surgeon, but I just find regular plastic to be more forgiving.

The only 1/72 Italian WWI big bomber was done a few years ago by Meikraft, the Caproni Ca.3. I did a lot of the research, instruction sheets and decal decisions. It was expensive then and now, with Meikraft and it's owner deceased, they can fetch a pretty penny, over $100 usually.
Of course if you are only building occasional models try looking at it this way: Buy five $20 models and take five months to build them or one Meikraft Caproni Ca.3 and take six months to build it.:-)
It was predominanently injection molded with several cast metal parts, included rigging material (two of the six months worth of work), wood veneer and superb decals. Have seen them of e-bay fin the $100 range.
The Roden line, which started as Toko, has a very large range of superb 1/72 WWI kits from the Gotha bomber and just released Felixstowe to their wonderful line of fighters.
If you are looking for particular subjects and can't subscribe to ESM 72 (Vol.6, #3 and #4 covered everything ever produced on WWI subjects with updates continuing through Vol.7) just post a request here and I (along with several others) will be happy to help you find them.
Tom

Gasp. Choke. Gurgle. Gulp. <fanning self rapidly>.
THAT is just a pure pity. I mean, I wish there were more reasonably priced options <sad sigh>.

Oddly enough, I see the logic (and the humor). But, I balk at the idea of a 1/72 scale kit at a hundred. Of course, I'm still coming to grips with the idea of such for $30.

I have one of the first Gothas they released in storage (need more practice before risking it under my blade and brush). I see they have a couple more recent ones now and need to get them.

How much would these cost? I got a new car this year (a year earlier than budgeted for originally), but I might be able to swing it.

The Roden (ex-Toko kits are now available from Eastern Express) are usually under $10 and are a serious value for the money. The best part about them is the tiny little parts are injection molded in three dimensions. Etched metal parts are great, but they are often flat where they should have some body to them.
>But, I balk at the idea of a

I actually spent over $100 for a 1/72 B-24 diecast from Corgi. I never would have put out the money, but I get to fly Collings' "Dragon" once in awhile and I just couldn't stand missing it. Now, if they did their B-17G in "Nine-O-Nine" markings they would get more of my money. Instant gratification can be expensive. :-)

An ESM 72 subscription is $25, $30 outside the U.S. You would want Vol.6 as it contains two entire issues of WWI subjects. You may want to extend to Vol.7 eventually for the many updates.
Address is:
MAI/ESM 72 P.O.Box 554 Corte Madera, California 94976.
Like I said before, let us know what subject you would like to see and we'll climb over each other to fill you in.
Happy modeling,
Tom
in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com, SamVanga at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 11/3/03 12:17 AM:

First off, I build whatever strikes my fancy. For me this usually means 1/48 aircraft that have props but I build quite a few 1/72 kits as well. Not to say that I don't also build the occasional armor piece or car or even ship. I don't do collections but I tend to do "themes" (BOB, Coral Sea, etc.)
I buy whatever catches my eye and that means I have a very eclectic collection of kits. And I buy a lot of resin and PE. Building OOB is a near impossibility for me.
And, I'll build whatever a client asks for but I don't enjoy those builds as much as I once did. I try to build only for my own pleasure and for my own collection.
As for resin and vacs? I've never done an all resin kit but I've done a number of vacs. Today's mix-media kits are generally very good but a tad expensive for some modelers.
My .02 cents.
Milton
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 06:17:37 +0000, SamVanga wrote:

I started out as a kid doing 1/72nd aircraft. As a "poor young one", it was hard to go wring with those Hasegawa kits at-a-then $1.29MSRP!
I also did sci-fi, as well as "real" space stuff.
As I grew older, I went full bore into figures and armor. ( no specific scale )
I did many of the classic Series 77 "The Americans", and gradually moved to conversions and scratch. I hardly ever do a "stock" figure nowadays. I like to do something that no one else has. As I see it...no matter how well I paint a stock figure....there will be a "zillion" artists that do a BETTER job on it....lol

For armor and aircraft, pretty much WWII is the area of interest (though not limited to that...)
For figures, the "War Of Northern Agression" is my primary area of interest, although if something "gonzo" strikes my fancy.....

Resin is pretty much unavoidable in figures. The state-of-the-art in resin casting far surpasses white metal, and on a "detail by detail" comparison, even exceeds injected styrene.
Plus, the "resin-ish" epoxy putties ("A&B", "Magic Sculpt", "Atlas", "Duro/Knead-A-Tite") are a revelation (or is it "revolution"?...lol). Sadly...the epoxy putty that most modelers are familiar with ("Milliput") is vastly inferior to any the above.....
--

Greg Heilers
SlackWare Linux user
SamVanga wrote:

1) I prefer larger scales - 1/48, 1/35, and 1/32...though I seem to be buying less and less in 1/48 these days.
2) Yes - I tend to build "collections"; a series of subjects that are somehow related or relevent to each other or an event or period in history, as a rule. If by "eclectic" it is meant that I build other than one genre of kit - like aircraft - exclusively....hmmnnn...I might qualify.
3) Yes - I love resin. But not as much as photo etch...
--
- Rufus

SamVanga wrote:

That's one of the reasons I gave up on Scale Aircraft Modelling. Everything was 1/48 related and I began to feel alienated. SAMi, OTOH, seems to spread the joy around.

1/72 and a growing interest in 1/144 aircraft and 1/25 cars. I've built something in most scales but 1/72 'feels' right.

If you consider trying to build one of everything a collection, yes. But I do have themes and there are times I'll tear off and do a whole related series of something.

I've done some resin car stuff and have one resin aircraft. It's alright but I prefer styrene myself.

Modelbuilders are difficult to categrise as mainstream anything! :)
Bill Banaszak, MFE

I'm debating whether or not to get another subscription. I like 1-2 articles per edition, but so much of it is just not helpful to me. Very frustrating.

Aircraft: 1/48. 1/72 for bigger a/c (flying wings.) Gundam: 1/144, 1/100 Cars: Rarely build. 1/24-25

Somewhat. I have a good number of P-36/Hawk 75s, and am ready (well, will be) to build even more. I figure by the time I finish building all the schemes, etc. I want to, I'll have about 40-50, with no two alike. Then there are ME-109s/FW-190s, and F-18s in special schemes.

No, but I use it in my models on rare occasion.
I`ve always liked 1/72 all my modelling life, But lately I`ve startedto do a couple of 1/48 Aircraft, The Academy Hunter I did was the first time I used resin because of the woeful cockpit provided, This has definitely given me a taste for it and would love to do more, However I am still sticking to 1/72-1/76 armour because I just enjoy it, I also flirt with 1/700 ship kits as well, Lately though I have had an itch to go back to 1/24 Car kits but obviously cost is a major factor, Oh and I like to do Motorcycle kits too and I am looking to the new Italeri 1/12 kits as well, This modelling thing tends to take over your life does`nt it? Not that I`m complaining of course! Darren
1/72 mainly WW2, some postwar RAF
1/76 BR 1970/80s
On 03 Nov 2003 06:17:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (SamVanga) wrote:

1/72 planes. I tried 1/48 a couple of times but it's too big for me.

I build mainly modern russian jets, but I also like the Century Series (I love the F-106): I think they all share the same "raw" beauty. But sometimes I model something completely different. For example I just took an Avro Vulcan.

I love resin. I even cast custom parts sometimes (so I need only to scratchbuild one master instead of multiple parts).
--
Yuri Rambelli

To send e-mail write "mclink" instead of "non.credoproprio" in the