I need a scale model of a Doomsday Device !!!

Once again, an "authoritative" definition is meaningless in the context here. Legally, the old Veeday kits were "scale models"....but I am willing to bet that very few of "us" (i.e. average modelers, with average or high standards), considered Veeday products as "accurate scale miniatures".

We should endeavor to expect things to live up to our standards, not simply meet the minimal "authoritative" definition. Hormel Canned Tamales might "legally" be considered TexMex cuisine...but no serious person would ever consider them to be authentic (accurate). Canned beans have to meet the "authoritative" standard of having no more than x% of rat poop in them...but that does not mean we should not expect better.

Once again, you fall back on *my* point about the act of building the model. Even if one builds using minimum personal standards, there is still the conscious act of trying to meet a standard; and not just accepting what comes "out-of-the-box". One actually tries to glue the correct pieces together. If they are going to paint the model, and are unsure as to what color(s) to use, they will actually do some research, even if it is minimal. They may just ask another modeler. But they are seeking the *right* answer. It seems that even these most limited of standards, get ignored, when dealing with "already completed" miniatures. I am simply asking why....

Yes...I have seen it. And just as in the photograph, the head is oversized. The feet are slightly oversized (length-wise....their height is okay...i.e. no "Mickey Mouse" feet, as common in others). The clothing, as mentioned earlier, has many scale problems. The equipage is light on detail, with a lot missing, but easily correctable.

No...not everyone who ever has built a model...but those of us who are frequent contributors to this small group, and who have demonstrated that they have the high standards I mentioned. Consider us a "family"...I do. When talking amongst ourselves, using the pronoun "we" is not incorrect, nor does it have to refer to those outside the "family". I would suspect that there is not a single "regular" here who does *not* have high standards. (higher than the average non-modeler)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

meet the minimal "authoritative" definition.>It seems that even these most limited of standards, get ignored, when dealing with "already completed" miniatures. I am simply asking why....Yes...I have seen it.

Reply to
100450.3563

No...when the discussion was about mentioned miniature figures, I assumed the figure being referenced was a traditional scale model cast in resin, or white-metal, as in the casting I myself referenced. Until you provided the link, I was unaware that the poster may have been referring to a toy "action figure". I was thinking along the lines of traditional castings, such as Poste-Militaire, Andrea, Pegaso, etc. (the traditional type seen in *scale* *modeling* shows, exhibitions, etc.)

I personally have not, on this particular action figure. But a fellow modeling friend, who has worked with this action figure, definitely has. His hobby skills have expanded into this genre, as he corrects and enhances these figures, for other collectors. He researches the subject, makes appropriate corrections on the figure, be it resculpting parts, resewing, or redying the cloth, scratch-building new equipage, etc. He is becoming known as someone who is "writing the bible" on correcting and enhancing action figures...which seems to be a requirement for credibility... (not to take anything away from Mr. Young's fine work)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Let's revisit that now, shall we? In message # 7 in this thread of June

15, ***which is the one I first responded to by providing the link***, you (or an impostor under your name) wrote, and I quote verbatim:

"Oh...the leather "gimme" flight jacket, that *every* modern president has worn at one time or another.

Perhaps...but the discussion was about available *scale* *models* ... not "action figures". Many of the action figures are very nice, and very close to scale...but they are not "scale models" (to be prepped, assembled, painted, etc.)."

In that message, which ***preceded*** mine, you quite obviously ***were already perfectly aware*** that the subject of the discussion was an action figure, contrary to the - shall we say, "untruth" above you're now trying to spin. You may not be overly surprised that you just lost the last bit of credibility you might ever have had.

Oh - so that friend of yours has performed a detailed analysis of the figure in question? Would you mind sharing his insights? Inquiring minds want to know.

Martin

Reply to
100450.3563

No....the message *before* that, from "Jessie C":

...where I replied:

Jessie C. used the word "figure", and I thought "cast resin or metal figure". And then I referred to a cast-resin figure kit, which was available (for a brief time) around 1990. (I do not remember the company)

"Tomcervo" then replied to my post, and his reply suggested that it was not a traditional historical miniature casting Jessie was referring to, but an "action figure" (figured out when he referenced an actual event). After that, the link was provided for the "action figure". And at that point, I realized that in Jessie C's eyes, "figure" could also mean "action figure".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

You claimed that until I provided the link, you were "unaware" that the poster may have been referring to a toy "action figure", yet in the very message preceding the one in which I provided the link you posted the following:

"Perhaps...but the discussion was about available *scale* *models* ... not "action figures". Many of the action figures are very nice, and very close to scale...but they are not "scale models" (to be prepped, assembled, painted, etc.). So, to thwart his juvenile attempt to preach from the "Leftist Mantra", and to add some maturity to the original poster's lurking and trolling, I re-steered to conversation to "models".""

If you would truly have been "unaware" that an action figure was the topic, you would not have discussed them the way you did. You should consider a career with Fox News or the current administration.

Reply to
100450.3563

there is a model that at least requirs cleanup and painting of the doomsday "ship" from the original star trek show. yeah it is sci-fi, hey bite me!

Reply to
jack