Individual Trak Links

Just got my first one, the RevGer/Dragon 1/35 Jadgtiger.

Is the benefit for using these to get a more realistic drop and sag onto the road wheels?

The instructions are not terribly clear. I assume they just snap together?

thx - Craig

Reply to
Craig

Jim Davis

You have to use cement to get them together, and it is also advisable to do three things when you do:

1) check them first, as nearly all single link tracks need the hinges filed to get an easy fit (or even go together);

2) make a simple assembly jig from styrene strip -- two to three thick beams spaced the width of the guide teeth apart will permit you to get a good straight alignment;

3) use a slow-drying liquid cement (e.g. Testors) so that you can get them to "sag" correctly during assembly.

There are a lot of ways to put these together, but alas, none are perfect nor simple.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

That's why I like to use the fruil tracks when I can. Still have some clean up to do, but I think its alot easier to do it. Also gives a realistic looking sag to the tracks.

Reply to
Jim Davis

One point to watch out for is that some liquid cements make the links tighten up. So what fitted perfectly when you built it has become to short when you fit it to the model - or if you built it on the model, has shrunk and lost the sag, maybe over-stressed the sprocket and/or idler too.

My solution is to lightly tack together every tenth link or so, so they can be split and re-attached to lengthen the trakc if necessary. This needs a a bit of care, as the "stretched" joint between them ay show up - but it's better than the alternative of tracks that don't fit at all.

On the whole I too prefer Friuli or Model Kasten, but thay aren't available for every model.

Cheers

John

Reply to
JPrigent