Lindberg 1/32 PT-109

I just bought a Lindberg kit of the PT-109 today and I need some information if I may.

First of all, I need what is the best electric motor to put in it? I was wanting to put 2 motors to it so give me some advice to this.

Now I have already ordered some 3 bladed props for it as well.

Just give me the best advice for this model...

Reply to
William L. Powell

I used a pair of 540 sized motors. Battery weight is more of an issue than power really. Keep in mind that the real boat had 3 engines, and the hull design isn't great for turning or getting up on a plane.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I had one some 20 years ago with R/C in it. Like the other poster, I used something in the range of 400 to 540 motors.

The boat builds heavy so if you're a good scratch builder, I'd use just the hull and scratch the deck and all that's on it.

I would take a serious look at the selection of motors for electric R/C flying. Keep away from the brushless as their speed controls do not have reverse as yet. But the coreless motors are much better and efficient than the standard can motors and you can often get matching gear boxes for them.

Next change I'd do from my old one is I'd go with LiPo batteries. Battery weight was the real killer on mine. With LiPos you can have twice the power and endurance with half the weight. Just get smart on their charging needs and you'll be OK.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

LiPo? I'm not familiar with those, Please explain.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sorry for the delay. LiPo are the latest craze in batteries for the Electric R/C plane crowd. LiPoly is another moniker for them. I've not used them yet myself but plan to in the near future. I do know they have some special charging needs that call for a special charger. But they are a vast improvement in capacity vs weight over NiCads.

Reply to
Chuck Jones