linen color?

Hi all! What could be the color of the internal side of the linen, covering ailerons and rudder in US Navy aircraft in WWII? White, lacquer, interior green, zinc chromate?

-- Greetings Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Dmitruk

Figuring that it would be a type of shrinking dope used on linen prior to camouflage paint I would go with a red or maroon or other appropriate color. The interior green or chromate would be used on metal areas; if you're talking about a wood aileron I don't think you'd see it. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thank You!

-- Greetings Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Dmitruk

I seem to remember that Humbrol once did a tin called "linen", but I don't know if its still in production. If not, I've used Africa yellow lightened up with a ~lot~ of white to get a light creamy tan on some Viking figures. It worked well.

The Old Timer

Why red or maroon? Dope was put on clear &/or mixed with aluminum powder to make it silver.

Reply to
frank may

Depended on the time frame. By W.W.II fabric used on aircraft was tightened with a dope that had red iron oxide mixed in it as an anti-fungicidal additive. Gave the dope a reddish brown color. I saw this when the National Air & Space Museum people were covering the aft fuselage of their Hawker Hurricane. This was also used on Vought Vindicator Divebombers and the fabric covered outer wing panels of Vought Corsairs. The camouflage paint would be painted over the reddish brown .

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The last time I looked "Natural Linen" was still being made but Humbrol did drop the "RFC Green". They seem to think they can sell more paint by dropping colours.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well said. Additionally, the aluminum powder used in the previous era was designed to reflect the sun and hopefully eradicate ultraviolet degradation of the linen. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper