Mottle decals

And why hasn't someone thought of this sooner?

Tom Cervo

Think of what, posting a dead link? I think it has been done to death.

:-) :-) :-)

Reply to
Wildcat

Works for me

Wish I could get decals like these for the FW190 and Messerscmitt 109 I've got to do

JJ (UK)

Reply to
JJ-UK

It's been done before.

IIRC Americal has done the Austrian mottle for the Albatross in 1/72.

MPM boxing of the Airfix SM.79 (again, IIRC) had ottled cao decals.

It's a great idea. Some decal manufacturer could stay in business doing nothing but mottling.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I just clicked on the link in Tom Cervo's message and found an add for a set of Fine Molds decals for the mottle camouflage on a Ki-46 "Dinah." I notice the price for the sheet is about $24.00 American. Seems IMHO like a pretty steep price to pay for a paint job one could do just as effectively with a small brush. After all, decals aren't gonna give you feathered edges, I shouldn't think.

Pip Moss I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

Works for me now as well. As I read it it is a kit and decals.

Reply to
Wildcat

Wasn't dead for me...neet...

Reply to
Rufus

Price seems steep to me also. I haven't done a mottle scheme like that yet but it seems like you could prime in aluminum/steel, then brush paint liquid masking agent everywhere you don't want the camo, then spray the main color, then peel the mask off. I may be crazy, but it seems like would be much cheaper and you wouldn't have to use a gallon of decal sol or take the risk the decal will cover panel lines and other fine details. Sounds like too much trouble to me.

Reply to
T. Forward

I think there was a set in one of the His-Air-Decs booklets. I think it would be great for Japanese types that have green mottle over bare metal or Italian desert camo.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Who thinks that Frasier Crane is going to end up next-door neighbour to Howard Borden...;)

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Meant to type MPC, the American distributor for Airfix at one time.

That sounds familiar, too. I know that they did black and OD anti-glare panels for Mustangs in both scales.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Yeah, Fine Molds has that in several of their 1/72 scale Tonys as well. I'm going to try one even though I prefer paint. Neat idea. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper