News bulletin: Arafat dies - nobody notices until today.

You mean Abu-Vess. Really, who would have thunk it. I honestly thought he'd stick with the Una-Vess stratagem at least into December. ;-)

I guess this means Vess's plans for the double wide expansion program on the old haunted cabin is out of the question.

WmB

WmB

Yes Frank, I am.

Reply to
Ron

"Vess Irvine" wrote

Holy Shit!! Is it 2008 already? I must've fallen asleep.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Well where do you want me to start? I was a Police Officer for 30yrs. in Lincolnshire Police in England. I know personally of several of my collegues who committed crime from theft to indecent assault on children and falsifing evidence. I have even turned one or two in when they refused to be advised by me.

I have even pointed out to the highest ranks of breaches of things like the Data Protection Act, didnt make me popular with them , but tough, bugger all they could do about it. Nothing irks me more than the abuse of power or not doing the job we were paid to do. There was a joke, "This (the police) would be a good job if it wasnt for the public"

I am only too well aware of what the job entails and I am certainly no Superman, mild mannered Clarke Kent perhaps.:-)

Reply to
David Amos

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

Do you get any cool holidays with that?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I spent the better part of 8 years between my Marine and Air Force service as a police officer in Chicago, starting off in patrol, then to the tactical team, then as a detective/investigator, and finally working counter narcotics. Of course there were the occasional incidents but, when compared to the crime rate in the community from which these officers were drawn (Chicago had a residency requirement then), the rate of crime among police officers was infinitesimally small.

I'll have to remember never to go to Lincolnshire. Sounds like a major exception to the rule and a virtual den of thieves there.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

Lincolnshire is a rural county the second largest in the country but small population comparatively. East side of the country about half way up. Some of the Pilgrim fathers came from north Lincolnshire, the original Boston is here.

The crime rate per head is low but there can be no comparison with the USA we stopped using the Felony/ Misdemeanor concept back in the sixties, we dont use a cash value for crime, a crime is a crime. Yes offences committed by Police Officers is low, but much more serious as an abuse, and more seriously still undermines the good work done by the majority.

You would always be welcome in Lincolnshire, its the home of the RAF, although a lot of bases have closed over the years we still have operational bases at Scampton, Waddington, Conningsby, Cranwell and near by Wittering and Cottesmore.

Reply to
David Amos

"Gray Ghost" wrote

All the usual ones, except they aren't spoiled by having to go to church.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:ogqld.680$%M4.191@trndny08:

Spoiled? I guess it depends on your point of view.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Gray Ghost" wrote

Yes, I imagine it would.

I should also add that the more religiously-based holidays are somewhat problematic for us atheist types. It's hard to get a hooker to on Easter Sunday.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yes we do, in fact early Christians borrowed from most of them.

Reply to
Ron

I'll have to remember that one.

Reply to
Ron

"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:AIsld.1292$tI3.570@trndny01:

Well you should have married an attractive, sexual woman like I did. Being a Christian doesn't mean you can't be a perv, you just have to be a perv with one woman. I can get used to it.

There is a passage in the bible (I don't know the exact place) where it says that wives should not keep thier bodies from thier husbands and husbands not keep thier bodies from thier wives. It is generally accepted as an ackmowledgement of the importance of a strong and satisfying sexual relationship between a husband and wife to the maintenance of a good marriage. Sort of the reward for doing the hard work of keeping a family together.

Given the feminist hags I see and the attractive women we have at my church I say there were far fewer frigid Christian women than frigid atheist women.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I was raised Catholic, church sucked for me. But to each their own so long as they don't force it on others.

Reply to
Ron

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

I know. It's a good thing, too.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

I was also raised in a Catholic Church. You have my sympathies. To many unanswered contradictions. Liked the message, couldn't stand the messenger. In later years after much searching I found a messenger more in keeping with my own view.

Plenty of people misrepresent God's word for thier own ends. But the word is still what it is.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The people that hate Chuch most always seem to be Catholics....maybe they should try a Protestant Church and get the real message.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

or realise that ontological proof can never eliminate empiracal skepticism and not bother with religious mythology.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Eyeball2002308) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

Problem is once you've been soured by the Catholic church you seem to say soured. I think the Catholic church has atheists and agnostics than any sort of "rational" thinking.

Sometimes it's hard even finding a Protestant church. After my daughter was born I started thinking more seriously about my beliefs and how I want her raised. I had unfortunatly at some point fallen in with some Presbyterians who had some very odd views. I put me off even more. But since the basic message is what I was after I kept looking. We go to my wofe's old church which is Methodist. I don't like everything but the basic message is there. We will probably end up somewhere somewhat more conservative (not mecessarily politically) eventually.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:ztuld.4399072$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

That's why they call it faith, baby.