News bulletin: Arafat dies - nobody notices until today.

'Abu' as part of an Arabic name simply means 'father of.' Abu Abbas is just 'father of Abbas.' If Abbas is a common Arabic name, there could be ten thousand Abu Abbas's in the Middle East.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

"the only notes that count, are the ones that come in wads." emi-sex pistols

I have a friend who's father was on the Chicago PD...he referrs to the Chicago PD as "the biggest street gang in Chicago". And I've certainly known of at least one guy that was skimming off the evidence locker during the 70's...he and his girlfriend got caught.

We also have a family friend that as risen to a fair level in the counter narcotics arena back there in Illinois, still on the force...he was recently written up in one of the local papers - he has some not-so-pleasent stories to tell about how he got to where he did...in spite of the efforts of his fellows to force him out because he was the "wrong" color for the job.

Just because your precinct was/is "clean" doesn't mean they all were/are. Small, yes. "Infinitesimal"...I doubt it.

Reply to
Rufus

When you're a heathen, every day is a holiday...oops, sorry...maybe that should be hedenist...

Reply to
Rufus

keeping a family together.

To paraphrase Rush..."feminism is just a political movement aimed at getting unattractive women more access to society".

Reply to
Rufus

Funny, how he has caught, over the years, so much flak for saying that... ...until a few years ago, when one of the leading "feminists" came out and said the exact same thing. Different words...but exact same meaning.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

he? the author of that song lives in ca. he has a new show on british tv, tours a lot, is pretty wealthy and is a damn nice guy. such realism is a good commentary on the music industry and organized religion.

To quote me: "Talk radio is just a political movement aimed at getting, fat, ugly, male drug addicts more access to society."

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

to quote me, talk radio is pablum for the musically challenged.

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:TCDld.5020292$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Is emi-sex pistols different than the sex pistols? Johnny Rotten is past tense?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

john lydon wrote the song emi that i quoted. he was in the pistols and is very much alive.

I thought it was *music* that was the pablum for the intellectually, political, and current events awareness challenged....lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

nah, talk is a waste on american radio.

Greg Heilers wrote in news:IdUld.4113$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Ok, now let me get this straight. Network news is a bunch of empty suits looking for fast buck. Fox is secretly an arm of the Republican party. CNN hasn't got it right since they started. Newspapers are rags, the internet is populated with rumor mongers and talk radio is for idiots. I guess you folks race around to important events and get the straight scoop by direct observation.

Uh-huh.

How about a judicious observation of multiple sources and drawing ones owns conclusions. But if you look in the wrong place you're intelectually challenged.

Has it ever occured to all you smart, hip, in on the joke types, what a bunch of gas bags you are.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

hehe. yep, that's it. i like npr for news but i don't believe any of them. we have entertainment media, real news started dying by radio and was killed by tv.

Okay, given two randomly chosen citizens, who would you feel would be more informed on: upcoming ballot initiatives; candidates for local school board; candidates for state judgeships; the identity of their own congressman; the makeup and responsibilities of the Legislative branch of the Federal Government; etc:

A) A person who listens to talk radio, consumer affairs programs, sports programs, local community affairs programs; even "Joe and Ralph's Weekend Car Talk Show"...

...or...

b) Someone who listens to "music".

My money is bet on "A".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Greg Heilers wrote in news:_SVld.4166$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Oops now I'm a gas bag. It appears we are on the same side of the fence on this. Apologies.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

No apologies needed...but I *was* a bit confused as to where you were coming from...lol

Reply to
Greg Heilers

AFAIC, that's a false dichotomy. Neither one is properly informed on most issues, because at best talk radio is probably going to take one side of a few of the sexiest issues and political contests. To either, I'd much prefer someone who reads multiple newspapers, listens to news radio (callers, who are screened almost never add any knowledge value to TR), and, most critically, talks about issues with people who don't necessarily see all the issues the way he does, and actually listens to and weighs what they say. Of course, the other person needs to be listening too, so there is a real dialgogue (which you do not get on TR).

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Well...those *other* radio formats you listed (such as news radio), is what I also consider to be "talk radio". To me, if it is not "sung", it is "talk radio". I was implicitly including those programs in my above examples. I consider NPR to be "talk radio". Are you suggesting that you *don't* get "real dialogue" on NPR. I disagree that "screened callers" almost never add knowledge value. Many of these "screened callers", are active duty members of our armed forces. I take the opinions of these folks very seriously, and consider them to be reliable.

As far as the print media....I also meant those as well. Most people who listen to "spoken radio", also read several newspapers, as well as current-events magazines, on a regular basis. So when I reference people who listen to "spoken radio"; I am also referring to those who are well read.

However, the "music" types, are far more likely to pick up the latest copy of "People", or "TV Guide"...as opposed to "National Review", or "The New Republic".

Reply to
Greg Heilers