Old Tyme modelling question.....

They had but were marketed in a fancy wood box and priced as equivalent to professional craftsman tools. They would have cost me several month's allowance.

I had to use double sized "safety razor blades" for my sitck built models. Fortunately my dad had jeweller's saws with very fine blades. One shortcut I never learned till many years later was to rough cut the formers and sand to shape. This would have saved me a lot of work and time. In every magazine, and even today, one would see a powered tool saw blade following the cut line faithfully and very accurately to impress upon the viewer that the part can be used for assembly right away. I can imagine how many would be hobbyists thought themselves failures when they couldn't achieve this.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Pulled out an old Mechanix Illustrated from 1947

Xacto #81 Basic kit in cardboard box $2.50 includes #2 knife, 7 blades, planer, sander

now for spendy Dremel Model 2 Moto-tool, wood case, $23.50 with 23 accessories

** mike **
Reply to
mike

This was a product of banana skins extracted and formulated for use as a quick drying clear varnish which balsa models were finished in. A bit like 'kleer' floor polish is used on todays plastic models. Brian Boot.

Reply to
Brian Boot

A very good year (I was born that year)

Pricey, would have made a nice birthday or Christmas gift for a kid.

This would have been more in line for Dad.

The Old Timer

"Brian Boot" wrote in news:chehuo$9r3$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

Shouldn't the Mon-kee be showing up about now?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Aaahhh, the memories! I was about 8 when I got an Exacto set for Christmas from an Aunt and Uncle. Was the little wood box with three handles and a selection of blades. I still have one of the handles, and that was over 50 years ago. That Uncle was sometimes less than amused about some of my modelling subjects, he was a Pearl Harbor "Veteran". Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Good keepin' there! Damn proud of ya! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

my balsa and tissue models had banana oil on them somewhere and you know what?...the little bastards flew...not far but flew and it was a stable flight until 'touch down'. Mike IPMS>

Reply to
Mike Keown

'touch down'>>

The standard pilot's saying, "any landing you can walk away from is a good one" can also apply to flying models I think..."any landing that leaves enough pieces to rebuild a plane from is a good one". Based on that, that B-52 landing apparently wasn't a good one. I still can't get that damn video to open. ^%!^$^& AOL!!

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete .mil.nav to email

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

It opened for me and I'm using AOL 4. Did you try this? It's a bit of a load on dial up.

hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

on dial up.

IT WORKED, Praise Jesus!! It may sound morbid, but too bad it crashed behind the trees, I would have loved to see the impact.