OT: From CNN/Time - The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

they had the dauphne on the list and i don' get it. we hadd a 66 that was peppy, reliable and really good on gas. never spent more than $2 aa week which was about 8 gallons. i even stuffed 6 cheerleaders in it with me. i kept shifting one's knee into second.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote: : : Second problem was just irritating. Anyone know what ISO threading is? : Oh, thank you for the reviving the memory! Not of ISO, but of the bastardized fasteners on the crapalier.

If it bolted directly to the engine block, it was good old english threads. So, the water pump was 1/2". Otherwise, it was metric. So, the water pump pulley was 13mm (or 12). Otherwise, it was TORX - ie, the bolts that held the disc brake caliper on was TORX. Size 1, I believe. Nice to find that out when you have the tires off replacing the pads...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

They are now cool due to Delboy and Rodney

As to performance. My mum had one pre car licence and it would beat a lot of hot hatches at traffic lights

Reply to
Martin

I saw one with twin exhausts, came in useful as a wheel barrow

Reply to
Jules

While humorous he had some serious contenders in it. He did make a few mistakes though.....the Jeep Cherokke from the mid-80's put us on the SUV track, not the Ford Explorer, he totally forgot the Chevy Vega and it's Pontiac counterpart which were total dogs that ran about a month longer than the loan to buy them lasted (contemporary with Pintos and Pacers but far worse mechanically) and what about the Mustang 2?

Reply to
Ron Smith

Mad-Modeller wrote

Oh no, he nailed the Trabant, Ich bin ein junk.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Reply to
Ron Smith

I have no idea about its reliability but for looks the Mustang II was pretty nice and more in keeping with the original idea of the Mustang. '71-'73 models were the aberrations.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Once upon a time I knew a fellow who had one. Poor Ralph spent a lot of time getting rides from others as the Dauphine decided to stay home that day. Worse times were when she decided to go out, a little. That usually involved a ride to the garage on the Hook.

Bill Banaszak, MFE sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'd like to nominate the Pontiac Sunbird. I had one briefly and I found myself parking it at dangerous locations in the hope a dump truck would back over it. Since it had cost me a fair sum I decided it would be wiser to take it back whence it came and get something much better.

To list all my complaints would take more time than I care to commit to that POS. Suffice it to say that the radio was great and the halogen headlights were superb - when they worked.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

we must have gotten the opposite of a lemon. ours always ran.

Reply to
someone

Don't mess with Reliant 3 wheelers - some run Rover V8s

Reply to
Martin

I waited to see if someone more elequent(?) than me to bring this up-Renault R5 (Le Car) -that underpowered non standerd POS. It was theonly time I got a free muffler from Midas (It was right under the right fender) . It had a heater with the same temp of a hamster in love. And to add insult to injury the last year I had it I had to have it repaired at a porshe dealership can you say a two day wait to have it just tuned-up -then it blew up (Three bearing main do that) the porshe dealer wouldn't give me all the parts- the only time I had to theaten them with a lawer ;)

Reply to
Dan drumm

Hmmm guess you got a bad one ;-). The Renault 5 I had in the UK was a great little car and the only problem I had with it was rust over the rear wheel wells but that was a known design fault as mud and salt gathered there. I must admit I was partial to French cars when I lived in the UK and had a Renault 16, 5, 14 and Fuego in that order and finally switched to a Citroen BX before I emigrated. All ran well and were comfortable and the last three were used for towing various sizes of camping trailers/caravans too.

Reply to
Larry Green

i thought porsche dealers were lawyers. just to afford the pos's.

Reply to
someone