OT: Hoax or No Hoax

Does anyone have the website that dispels whether a warning about something running on the internet is a hoax or not? I just got a warning about a world cup email, and believe that it is a hoax by what is being said, however, need to really make sure before I blast the sender for not checking first.

Many thanks in advance,

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

eyeball

Trouble is, it's trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon.

Reply to
tomcervo

It sounds genuine to me. Events such as the World Cup are often used as a ruse to get people to open unsolicited e-mails. It would help if companies like eBay didn't send out warning messages which look exactly like hoaxes.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

There are several such sites. One of the best is:

However, the fastest way to check is just to "google" some keywords from the suspicious message and add the work "hoax" or "scam". In this case "world cup hoax" gets this result (among others) :

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Are two I can think of right off the top of my head. Here's what google has to say about it:

Jessie C

as has already been mentioned, plus
I use both. Sometimes one has stuff (or more information) that the other doesn't.

John

Reply to
John

=== Many thanks for the input, will try all of them to see if the post is real or not.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

If you think it sounds like a hoax, it probably is.

JM

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

Reply to
John Mianowski

PPP: Any email you do not recognize just erase it without even opening it. The very act of opening it tags you as a "live one" and there are spam mail programs that put your email address into their mailing list. My (and your?) service provider is quite good at sniffing out spam mail these days but I don't take the risk.

Reply to
ppp