OT: Question on hearing damage if shooting with only earplugs and not full cover earphones

I use only foam expanding plugs at the range, but a friend recently

> told me that you can still do ear bone > damage by the sound hitting right behind the ear . True?
Reply to
dave999

I'm not sure about shooting, but I wear the full blown headphone style hearing protectors around the airplanes, mostly jets, at work. Word around a/c is that the earplugs aren't as effective as the headset style. Makes sense they won't be around guns either.

Reply to
famvburg

Eh?

Spent too much time around 105mm stuff!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

I think so, yes - it's called "bone conduction", if I'm not mistaken.

When you're working (or playing) around loud noises, you want as much hearing protection as you can get, as a general rule...

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Wha say? Sorry, M3 sub machine gun was ny downfall! Tinnitus is constant companion.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Huh? I did my damage with single session firing a Bersa .380 pistol. Never thought about hearing protection. Twentyfive years later and my right ear still rings all the time. I don't know how guys who have been in battle can hear anything.

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

i did my damage with 2 12" JL Audio subwoofers powered by 2 400 watt Planet Audio amplifiers.

Sean Neilan Peace leads to strength. Strength leads to war. War leads to weakness. Weakness leads to peace.

Imagine what we will learn when people are not afraid to ask whatever they wish?- JH

If sense is so common, why do so few people have it?

Reply to
IncubusNitemare

I don't know about hearing damage, but the range and stopping power has to be lousy. Kim M :+)

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Yeah, but imagine your embarrassment when you show up at the emergency room.

"What happened to you?"

"I... I got shot with a pair of ear plugs..."

DLF

Reply to
David Ferris

Actually, you will not suffer any damage because of bone conduction. Bone conduction attenuates sound traveling through the air by approximately 60 dB. This is more than enough reduction to prevent any acoustic trauma. What you do want to be concerned about is the protection you are wearing in or over your ears. Check the NR value of the plugs you are using. A good foam plug will give you 30+ dB of noise reduction and in most cases will do the trick. But plugs work the best for steady state noise while gunfire is actually a spiked, impact noise. By far, shooting muffs are superior and muffs in combination with plugs are superb. For larger caliber weapons, consider the muffs or combo.

Mike

Reply to
MGlantzMN

if your desperate, do what we do when we go out hunting, take ciggarette butts and stick them in you ear (the filter side) they works allright as an improv solution.

Sean Neilan Peace leads to strength. Strength leads to war. War leads to weakness. Weakness leads to peace.

Imagine what we will learn when people are not afraid to ask whatever they wish?- JH

If sense is so common, why do so few people have it?

Reply to
IncubusNitemare

My hearing was badly degraded from a 105mm short round that landed within 20 feet of me and killed one of my Recon Marines along with the noise and vibration from firing the M-60 with the right side of my head/ear against the buttstock most of the time.

I remember once during my first year as a police officer when I forgot my ear protectors on the range. I stuck a fired 357mag casing in each ear (back end in) and it worked OK at reducing the noise but I would not recommend it as a regular substitute for a set of proper ear protectors ;~) "The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I seem to have gotten by just wearing foamies for the last 20 years...I particularly prefer them when shooting a long gun.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or not old enough yet...

Reply to
Rufus

get a pair of slash cuts. or ride my beast for a week.

Got a pair...and just put short Bubs on my new bike - they're louder than the slashers...I LIKE 'EM!

Reply to
Rufus

what! huh?