OT: Sub Class in Edwin Beach's "Dust on the Sea"

I'm just reading "Dust on the Sea" by Edwin L. Beach. Does anyone have any idea what class of sub the "Eel" would be? I'm guessing some sort of Balao or Guppy. My knowledge runs more towards 70s/80s/90s subs.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

"Don McIntyre" wrote

The real EEL was cancelled Balao.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

This was the "Run Silent Run Deep" sequel, so it took place in 1945. Balao/Tench is the best bet. If you're building a model, there's no external difference in the 3 classes, except for the cut-down and shortened sail, and drain holes, individual to each sub.

tomcervo

Thanks, Gents, Tom, those Pampanito shots really aid in visualizing what I've been reading. Thanks, again, Don McIntyre

Reply to
Don McIntyre