OT: We got the head cockroach!!!

We got bin Laden! Now let's find that roach Zawahiri.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Hear, Hear. Find the other piece of slime and liquidate him, too. Don't even bother trying to take him alive. Just find and kill.

Reply to
Matt Wiser

I DO hope that they remembered to embalm him in bacon grease before they buried him......

Reply to
The Old Man

I'm just sorry we had to waste the cost of the bullet on that piece of garbage.

Reply to
eyeball

Speaking of your nickname, I heard that he was shot in the left eyeball. I hope he was able to watch it coming to escort him to Hell.....

Reply to
The Old Man

The Old Man wrote in news:e7d83e85-6ef8-49df-ade2- snipped-for-privacy@f2g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

A raised beer to the operators of Seal Team 6. Good going guys!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I'm not going to get involved in this post any further than saying I'm not going to get involved.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

No castles with spikes down under.

Reply to
frank

Is celebrating an assasination something we should do as 'civilised' people? Personally, I don't think so - it smacks of mob mentality and Rome's bread and circuses - entertainment for the uncultured masses. We can debate the rights and wrongs of political assasination for years, but it doesn't change the facts - this man was killed without due process... and where I come from, that's called murder.

The other thing, the main thing (I shed no tears for one man; we all die, when is just a matter of statistics) is that killing one man won't fix the problem, because the problem isn't caused by one man, or even by one religion, unless greed is a religion. It's caused by the money men, who needed a villian to replace Communism after it collapsed. Look at what's happened over the last 25 years; there were no Islamic/Muslim fundamentalist terrorists until after the fall of The Wall and Glasnost... The money men needed someone to villify, to justify the keeping of their armies and the huge profits they make by selling weapons to protect us from the dread terror that has replaced the Reds under the bed, so they created another menace that has now matured. If you want to point a finger at the criminals, look to those in power, who make toys of us all. And I don't mean politicians - mostly, they have no power. MONEY TALKS, money is power, and like Pavlov's dogs, politicians will bark when told to for their rewards, or risk being unemployed. Governments change, money never moves far from where it lives - who really runs the nations of the world?

Am I a conspiracy theorist? I don't think so. I just look at the world AS IT IS, and make my own conclusions using my own brain, not allowing NBC, CBC or whoever to spoonfeed me the popular pap that passes for news. Remember, the money men control the media, they tell the media what to report and how to spin it so that we all get the 'right' message.

No doubt this is an unpopular view, especially in the States, but it's my view.

One more thing, a very visible pointer to the rightness of my argument. Tell me, do YOU feel safer after you've queued for an hour to be security checked before you get on an aircraft? I sure don't, because I know that there's a thousand better ways to get nasty stuff onto an aircraft than being so silly as to try to take it through the gate. It's just another way to control us, to reinforce the idea that we are being looked after by the people in charge, who have our best interests at heart. "Oh, and by the way, please remember to vote for me when election rolls around, coz I luvs yas so much." Bollocks. All they love is the handout from the public purse, that WE as taxpayers provide. And who makes them popular so that they get voted in? The money men...

Think about this, if you dare.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

The man was a military leader, an enemy soldier if you will. I don't ask the enemy tank to surrender before engaging it from 3000m away. I don't fire a warning shot at the enemy patrol at 1200m away to see if they throw down their arms before sending a burst of .50 cal and

7.62mm rounds into the center mass of their formation.

Not much different than gathering intel that Admiral Yamamoto's airplane would be touring the front and sending P-38s to intercept and shoot it down. I doubt they gave the pilots a chance to surrender before shooting the plane down.

No Islamic terrorists before the fall of the Wall? I seem to recall a massacre of Olympic athletes in Munich in the 1970s, a plane blowing up over the country of Scotland in 1988, a Berlin disco being bombed a few years earlier. I was there when the Wall came down and spent my

26th birthday knocking down a part of it. All those things happened before the fall of communism.

As a career soldier, I can tell you we'd rather handle Mississippi floodings, Katrinas, Haitian earthquakes, Indonesian tidal waves and Japanese earthquakes than look for the next boogey man to be the bad guy. Other than the obvious human suffering those natural disasters cause, at least no one is trying to kill you in those situations.

After the Wall fell, we (as a nation), had more resources available (freed up since they weren't stuck in Germany staring at Russians and other Warsaw Pact armies) to assist other nations from killing one another; things we often had to just stand by and watch because we lacked the ability to go and help. The Wall falling allowed us to go to places and keep (or try to keep) the inhabitants from killing one another. We did so with limited success (former Yugoslavian and Czechoslovakian areas) and total failure (Somalia). Failure as in keeping the warring factions from killing one another.

Operations like these were enough to keep us occupied for decades, although I often fail to see why it is the US's responsibility to ensure several civilized European nationalities don't wipe each other off the map.

As to whether or not I feel safer flying after waiting in line for an hour? In a word, no. Political correctness has prevented us from using one of the most effective methods of preventing this type of crime. Police forces spend time and effort developing profiles of who is more likely to commit a certain criminal act. But still we exert the same amount of time and effort to insure my grandmother isn't going to commit the crime that we do to someone who fits the potential profile.

I'm not saying that everyone named "Rob" be pulled out of line and given cavity searches because their name is a synonym for "steal." But in the name of fairness and bureaucracy we insist everyone be inconvenieced equally whether they are the 16 yr old cheerleader or the guy who looks like he belongs at the top of the most wanted list. Therein lies our problem.

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

RobG wrote in news:4dcb9ca3$0$29983$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Look at

Not exactly correct, is it? Munich Olympic games La Belle disco Berlin Lockerbie...

These are just the ones I remember of the top of my head, and all happened well before 1989, the year the iron curtain came down.

I more or less agree with the remainder of your post. Yet, supposing BL was caught alive, consider however the following:

a) what's the risk of retalliatory attacks by extremists? b) what if the extremists capture several innocent people to be held as hostage in exchange of BL? c) what if BL was put away without a trial in Guantanamo like the other captured terrorists, what would that do to the public image of the US and Obama? d) if BL was to be tried in the US, would the public opinion outside of the US be convinced BL had a fair trial? e) if BL was to be sentenced to death, wouldn't that also be murder? f) Could BL be tried somewhere outside the US? I suppose the International Court in The Hague would be seen as fair by most countries?

Now he's dead and buried at sea, I'd say that: option a is less likely option b is unlikely option c would isolate the US and make them even less legitimate to lecture other countries on human rights, while options a and b remain open option d is very unlikely option e is open to debate. In cases like these - where there is no doubt about the accused being guilty - my opinion is that death sentence is probably more humane then lifelong solitary confinement. I also consider a swift death by hanging or before a firing squad more humane then the fate his victims suffered. option f is not really an option, as the US doesn't recognise the International Court

So what happened to BL was probaly the lesser of all possible evils. And after all, the public opinion tends to forget quickly.

Is this end of story for fundamentalists? Of course it isn't. Killing BL might prove to be akin to chopping of one of Hydra's heads.

As long as greed, power, and religion rule the world, we'll have to deal with inequality and the problems it brings with it. If we want to break this vicious circle, let's start with something that is within our might and drop religion altogether? As the religious seem to have all the answers, religion takes away the need to think for oneself. It's no surprise that the most religious regions are usually a few decades behind when it comes to social values. Also, more killings have been commited in the name of religion than for any other reason.

To he who thinks, religion is what a crutch is to he who walks. A fit person doesn't need either.

Enjoy the weekend.

Steven

Reply to
Steven

He was just a simple man nothing more nothing less. There are some people who allow envy prejudice selfishness and hatred to guide their lives UBL just played into it, and took advantage of that.

It's called human nature, get used to it because it aint changing anytime soon... BTW take religion away and you will still have inequality. Just part of any species.

Well you can drop religion from your life but a LOT of the rest of us won't be anytime soon, we like it.

I think just fine for myself, as do most who follow their religion. You are painting away with a very broad brush there don't ya think ?

behind when it comes to social values.

Social values ? No... They have not changed just as human nature has not changed. All part and parcel of who and what we are as a species.

And most of those who do the killing use religion and symbology as just a tool to get others to do bad things and explain away their own misdeeds. UBL sure didn't follow his religion. He also use a lot of class warfare envy and jealousy to motivate his followers, kinda reminds me of progressives.....

That's your opinion, other people have theirs which they choose to believe in. I know you don't want to force your own values on others right ?

I'll be in church on Sunday, so yes I will be enjoying the weekend.

Nice to meet ya ;-)

Reply to
AM

Steven wrote in news:Xns9EE460D02DCCCave.Putorem@

69.16.176.253:

Cry me a river. I remember all through the 1970s the PFLP, the PLO, Abu Nidal, etc murdering people left and right and destroying property. If we had eradicated the problem then we wouldn?t be having a problem now.

You know what I think is one of the most disgusting and repulsive mistakes of the West? That Arafat died of natural causes in 2004.

He should have died 30 years back of unnatural causes.

As long as we whimper and apologize for being the successful West we continue to invite these attacks. Suck it up and deal out the pain on the spot. It?s the only way.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Then maybe we should have gotten along with alternative fuels and other energy sources and let them choke on their damned oil.

Reply to
The Old Man

The Old Man wrote in news:6c1ab3d1-5102-445e-ab39- snipped-for-privacy@dr5g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

How about we just use the oil available in the Western hemisphere? Or in the US?

Are you personally investing any of your OWN money in alternative energy? Or do you want Uncle Sugar to do it for you and add another trillion to the debt?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I agree except for one thing. As a surveyor, I knew a guy in the oil industry who went out on surveys exploring for oil. He'd been to the North Slope several times conducting his surveys. According to him, all the oil there was earmarked - by the major oil companies - for Red China. How does that help us?

Yes - and have been since 1992.

No thank you - too much of that money has been syphoned off for "other projects".....

Reply to
The Old Man

The Old Man wrote in news:57faeb15-fb97-4020-8953- snipped-for-privacy@hd10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I used to think ?free trade? was OK, but there doesn?t really seem to be much of that.

Drill it here, sell it here. Why not, they make bad, complicated law all the time. Let?s try something simple.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I know it's not modeling related, and therefore the last time I'll bring it up but. Our team got bin Ladin after Obama put in two and a half years in office. Bush swore after 9/11 that bin Ladin was a dead man and six month later said that he didn't think about nor did he care about him and for eight year let him live to try to kill more Americans. It was under Obama's watch that he became fish food. As far as I'm concerned, the only president that we've had to endure who didn't have Carter's competence was George W. Bush.

Regards, (and that last political rant that I'll try to bring up) John Braungart

Reply to
The Old Man

The Old Man wrote in news:fc3d1aff-716c-48a3-8207- snipped-for-privacy@dn9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, using methods of intelligence gathering that he slammed for poltical reasons. And using an infrastructure put together by Bush.

Did you expect Bush to be out in the Pushtan himself with a rifle and a flashlight?

The only thing Obama gets credit for is saying yes, after Panetta forced his hand.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The Old Man wrote the following:

Fred Barnes recounting his Sept. 14, 2006 conversation with George Bush in the Oval Office.

HOST: Alright Fred, you and a few other journalists were in the Oval Office with the President, right? And he says catching Osama bin Laden is not job number one?

BARNES: Well, he said, look, you can send 100,000 special forces, that?s the figure he used, to the mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan and hunt him down, but he just said that?s not a top priority use of American resources. His vision of a war on terror is one that involves intelligence to find out from people, to get tips, to follow them up and break up plots to kill Americans before they occur. That?s what happened recently in that case of the planes that were to be blown up by terrorists, we think coming from England, and that?s the top priority. He says, you know, getting Osama bin Laden is a low priority compared to that.

Reply to
willshak