Pocher Car question?

A number of years ago I remember Model Expo selling these magnificent car kits by Pocher. Can anybody tell me whatever happened to them, and the best way to locate one unbuilt? Expensive I would assume! Thanks for the info Jim

Reply to
jimbol51

John DeBoo

Personally I was never really into cars but these things amaze me ever since I saw one of them in a car museum. I just checked ebay. My Lord are they expensive! jim

Reply to
jimbol51

I have seen several in the box and they seem to have the same number of parts as the 1/1 prototypes do. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Be careful on these. Some of the kits are nice, others not anywhere near their price. The fit of parts on many of them are problematic. Many of the engine parts are plastic where they should be cast metal.

The more recent the model, the better. The older ones are not that great. The Mercedes and the Rolls are pretty nice.

I would say that the quality and accuracy of these kits are not up to those of the Tamiya 1:12 scale kits.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Thats about how it was put to me too. One of the kits I guess even had you installing each and every spoke in the wire wheels - yikes! Some had engines that turned over by hand, working steering etc. Most intriguing though. John D.

Reply to
John DeBoo

I've built 3 of these kits and have several more unbuilt. They have been in my possession for more than 20 years. The kits are nice but, like everything else, need improvment in some areas. They don't just "fall together" to make museum quality models. I'll warn you about 1 thing. The kits are notorious for having missing parts. This would present a very large problem if you intend to actually build one. I will say, when I see them in my display area, they do give you a great sense of accomplishment (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Lots of very good info here -

Note there are a few Ferrari kits in current production...averaging about $4200 per kit...

Reply to
Rufus

I have built 3 or these kits and have several more "unbuilt" that I have owned for more than 25 years. They are not "museum quality" right out of the box. There are fit and finish problems like most kits and require some scratch built detailing to really have a nice looking finished model. If you intend to buy and build one, I will give you a word of warning. These kits are notorious for missing parts. Acquiring a replacement for a missing part could be an adventure. I will say, looking at the finished ones on my display shelf gives me a real sense of accomplishment (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

for that money, i'd rather have an s30.

Reply to
someone

Some things do get ridiculous, don't they?..

Reply to
Rufus

but for $10,000, do you really LOVE that coffee table?

Reply to
someone

If I could get $10K for a little lovin'...

Reply to
Rufus

really.

Reply to
someone

Worked for my ex...

Reply to
Rufus

This missing part issue could be a real deal killer for anything off of ebay I would assume. jim

Reply to
jimbol51

The fact that Pocher has been out of business for several years certainly complicates the situation. There have been rumors over the last few years than someone was going to attempt to buy them and start production but nothing ever seems to come of it. How would you ever find a missing part? I can't imagine anyone breaking these kits down and parting them out. It's reached the point where I am going to sell my remaining kits. I can't believe they will go up more than they already have (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I took the cheap way out, and bought just the engines when Pocher was selling them separately. I would have to say they were overpriced, quality wise, but in terms of cost per hour, reasonable.

A few quibbles; use of silver plastic with visible swirls to represent cast aluminum, for instance.

The Bugatti engine is a trip, turn the crank (which comes out the business end, not the front end) and the pistons go up and down, the valves go up and down, etc. Supercharger doesn't actually blow, though. However, my impression is that the durability of all these little items is low, and I only crank my Bugatti on special occasions.

Don,

What are the Tamiya 1:12 kits you referred to when compared to the Pocher? jim

Reply to
jimbol51

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

They did several formula 1 cars, and a couple of sports cars- a Lola, a Porche, and others I can't recall. They run around a hundred bucks or so. VERY nice kits.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota