Post-World War 2 Displays of Captured Aircraft

Does anyone know of any books which were published after World War 2 containing photographs of captured German / Japanese / Italian aircraft? I know that there were public displays of captured aircraft in both the UK and the USA after the war. I was wondering if anyone ever published photographs of the equipment. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
robbelothe

Loads of photos at NARA, surprisingly quite a few in Navy Record Groups.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Look for "Strangers in a Strange Land" on eBay. That's where I got my copy. Also, "War Prizes". Good luck.

TF

Reply to
TForward

By far the most comprehensive reference on this subject (mentioned by TForward) is 'War Prizes,' by Butler (Midland Counties Publications [UK], 1994; 320 pages). Other good books on captured Luftwaffe aircraft are 'The Captive Luftwaffe,' by West (Putnam Aeronautical series [unnumbered]; Putnam [UK], 1978; 147 pages); 'Les Avions Allemands aux Couleurs Francaises, Tome 1,' by Ricco and Soumille (Editions Lela Presse [France], 1997; in French; 105 pages); and 'Les Avions Allemands aux Couleurs Francaises, Tome 2,' by Ricco, Soumille and Courrier (Editions Lela Presse [France], 1997; in French; 92 pages).

The two 'Strangers in a Strange Land' volumes mentioned by TForward:

Stapfer: 'Strangers in a Strange Land' (Squadron/Signal [USA], 1988;

80 pages)

Stapfer and Kuenzle: 'Strangers in a Strange Land, Vol. II: Escape to Neutrality' (Squadron/Signal [USA], 1992; 80 pages)

cover only Allied aircraft captured by the Germans or Swiss, respectively.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

wrote

Wasn't one of the displays at Anacostia or Patuxent NAS?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Both places had captured test aircraft and Anacostia did have a display. The famous white FW-190 with red nose was based at Pax River. The thing is there are far more captured aircraft than were at either base in the Navy RG's at NARA, my suspicion is the Navy sent photographers to all the various displays and that's how they ended up in the Navy photo files.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

I don't know whether there is a book on the subject, but on my Me 163B Komet site I have pages that shows two such displays:

Hyde Park exhibition, 16-22 September 1945:

Wright Field Air Fair, 13-21 October 1945:
My focus is on the Komet, but you can see other aircraft in the background at Wright Field.

Rob

Reply to
Rob de Bie