question; Michaels

I hit one of my local shopping centers for the first time in a while and got a shock, the Michaels in there was gone, Kaput, boarded up. Is this just a local phenomenon or is Michaels in trouble?? I didn't see or hear anything about the closing so if there were any close out specials I sure missed the boat.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I was in the local Michaels (Fremont, CA) twice last week. Plenty of stuff on the shelves, no going-out-of-business sale, the same daft women trying to eke out an extra 25 cent discount right ahead of me...

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Our Micheals in Joliet Il. is still plugging away but just last week when I was in there I commented to the wife that I was surprised they were still in business. Not that it is a bad store or anything but with a Hobby Lobby nearby I think they just don't do great business. Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Three Michaels in my area,they have a decent car selection but a total of about

5 different planes to chose from.And the selection hasn't changed in 2 or 3 years...AMT cars and Testors planes.
Reply to
Eyeball2002308

same with the victorville, ca store. they don't re-order paint either.

Still going strong in our area. I have two within a 4 mile radius. They still offer their $40 percent off cupons in their ads.

Charlie

Reply to
roado

Reply to
Grandpa

Good thing too because most of the model prices are inflated by around

40% so that br> Still going strong in our area. I have two within a 4 mile radius.
Reply to
Grandpa

Michael's does occasionally close stores. I know of a store in Lakewood, CO that closed a few years ago. They can also close because of "natural disasters". There was a store in Aurora, CO whose roof collapsed last March when Denver received a record snowfall. They never reopened and the store is now boarded up. I've noticed that when a store like Michael's closes, it's usually because another larger Michael's store opens at a nearby location.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Don't you follow the news? He got arrested a couple weeks ago for child molesting!! Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

check on another aisle. I get my water based and oil paint there (the paint by the models is sometimes lacking), but the artists paint (cheaper) is usually in good stock.

Woody

e wrote:

Reply to
James Woody

where do you buy kits? the 2 v-ville hobby shops are severly lacking. and the guy in the swap meet folded. i never go down the pass because i don't know where to go.

But, but she's a...*girl*...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Go to the ipmsoc.org website and click on Hobby Shops. It will list the shops in the greater LA area. At the top of that page is a link to a listing of all the shops in SoCal that sell Tamiya kits (if they sell Tamiya, the must sell other brands as well?).

h>>check on another aisle. I get my water based and oil paint there (the

Reply to
James Woody

Reply to
Mike Keown

Michaels in my area(near Baltimore)have about 3 model planes,all from testors;the small bottles of testors enamels;tube glue;and plastic brushes...not worth it

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Their weekly 40% off (and occasionally 50% off) coupons make them very much worthwhile for airbrushes, compressors, and other miscellaneous supplies.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

yes Al I buy an airbrush and compressor regularly :-P

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

You don't buy any other modeling supplies? There's lots of useful stuff at Michael's. Quality paint brushes and artist's acrylics and oils, for instance.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Actually I like the little testors trays of paint,that I get cheap at wal mart.I even found I can get very good coverage with the cheap plastic brushes included! The sable hairs only come out when I use enamels,which is increasingly rare. Now...if I did cars I would go to Michaels,which has a better selection then a lot of the hobby stores here.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308