Question re: Hasegawa pricing in the US

Hi folks,

I was at my local shop today doing my bit to the hobby alive. While there, I got some 1/72 aircraft Hasegawa kits.

I have almost never gotten Hasegawa kits new due to the high prices. But these kits were around $7 each. However, on another shelf were more kits in the same scale, same subject, same producer but the prices were nearly twice as much. I didn't see any reference to photoetch or resin details or anything like that. The boxes were different is all.

Anyone know why there big price difference for very similar items fromt he same producer????

Reply to
SamVanga

I have seen that happen a lot in my area with hasegawa too,not sure why...maybe dumping the older release to convince people the same kit in a new box is something special?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Reply to
Cliff Davis

SamVanga wrote: : : Anyone know why there big price difference for very similar items fromt he : same producer???? : Importers have a lot to do with the prices. Hasegawa was imported into the states by Mark-up Polo, and they cratered last year. Now, Hawegawa kits are coming in via the Canadian distributor. That could be a reason for the difference.

Dollar/Yen fluctuations also vary the prices, but not likely 2x. :-)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

I've noticed that Haseagawa has recently re-released some of their older 1/72 jets (e.g. Harrier, F9F Panthers) in white boxes that are considerably lower in price than the "regular" product line at about $9. Kind of nice to see some affordable Hasegawa prices.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

AHA! That must be what I'm seeing. I did get one of the Panthers in a white box. I hopew they extend this program across the line.

Many thanks for everyone's insights.

Reply to
SamVanga