Re: [Q] Correcting Italeri's 1/72 YF-23

Check out ARC, had an article on July 26, with picture of correct intake profile.

"Sir Loin of Beef" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.starhub.net.sg...

Just got hold of one of these, and I really like the simplicity. > However, I was wondering what's wrong with the intake areas. Everyone > seems to be commenting about their inaccuracy. > > In addition, what other kinds of detailing would benefit this kit? > > I'm not sure what the view through the front intake of the real > aircraft is like. In this kit, looking through the front intake > reveals the very large landing gear bays.
Reply to
TimeLess

Thanks.

I'm also interested in detailing the exhaust area. The italeri kit depicts some strips around the exhaust tiling. In the real aircraft, are these strips sheet metal? I've seen a walkaround

of a museum plane, where it appears to be some kind of rubber strips, but was it really like that on the real aircraft while in flight?

If not, I'm thinking of sanding these strips away and resculpting them in to look less hard-edged.

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

One more question.. are these exhaust tiles rectangular or square? I'm rescribing them, and the kit has rectangular tiles, while the photos I've seen have square tiles with an occassional diagonal cut in some tiles.

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

Does anyone know what color the insides of the intakes are for the YF-23? The italeri instructions indicate black, but most aircraft I've done have white intakes. I haven't seen any photos of the real aircraft's intake area yet.

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef

I just saw this photo of the Italeri YF-23, and was wondering about the accuracy of the rear exhaust area.

Right behind the exhaust insulating tiles, there are V-shaped non-tiled areas. Is the real aircraft like this, or is it tiled all the way to the trailing edge?

In addition, are the out of the box antenna placements correct? I haven't seen any antennas on photos of the real thing.

Reply to
Sir Loin of Beef