Re: Q Revell Honest John and Mobile Carrier

"Gray Ghost" wrote
Hoping to toss this together over the weekend. Realized the markings for
> the tractor trailer combo are commercial. The "history" on the
> instructions say Honest Johns were transported to military facilities
> knocked down on commercial flatbeds.
>
> This strikes me, in this day and age, as adsurd.
>
> Should the Fruehauf and trailer be in the suggested civillian markings or
> in military? I originally expected to paint it Semi Gloss OD with white
> stars on the hood and/or doors.
In the early '80's my companies shipped Trident I & II, Peacekeeper,
Pershing II, Stinger, and Standard Missile-ER rocket motors or complete
stages via commercial carrier, although the tractors were sometimes armored.
The missiles would be "knocked down", into the field or depot assemble-able
parts, but they didn't use open crates like the Revell kit - har har. In
fact, I have the various TMs for the HJ. The motor (or JATO as it was
called), pedestal (conical transition section at front of JATO), and warhead
section were each shipped in specially-designed metal shipping containers
with forklift pockets, lift rings, dry nitrogen purging, and all that. The
fins were in containers of some sort - flat metal or wood boxes IIRC - while
the igniters, fuzes, and spin motors were in MS metal cans and/or ICC wooden
boxes.
Flatbeds would be used for some loads, but regular van trailers are much
more likely.
KL
Reply to
Kurt Laughlin
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AMPSOne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:
Thanks, Cookie and all. Wasn't there an HJ model with a launcher? I mistakenly thought that was what it was when I bought it. Mobile carrier sorta sounds military.
Reply to
Gray Ghost
"Gray Ghost" wrote
Yes, but in 1/40 rather than 1/48 like you have.
Old Pat seems to have gone a bit paranoid by 1787. . . My favorite quote of his about the Constitutional Convention is "I smelt a rat in the whole affair."
KL
Reply to
Kurt Laughlin
"Kurt Laughlin" wrote in news:NU7Bc.9973$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:
Yeah, but I kinda like Ole Pat. Unafraid to say what's on his mind.
Reply to
Gray Ghost
Until 9/11 DOD shipped huge amounts of military equipment and explosives/ammo around the country via commercial trucking and rail lines, with little of it having any security worth mentioning. You would think they would have gotten wiser but a media and an IG investigation last year showed that some trucking firms were storing DOD shipments in unsecured warehouses, with no security at all, not even a night watchman.
John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)
Reply to
John Hairell
The comments that Kurt, Cookie and others make sense in regards to this kit and the likely hood that it represents a real world prototype. However, Having just about all of the old Revell missile kits, I have found that Revell did use some decent research in developing the 4 or 5 Revell missile kits that I have built so far. Granted, they may represent a test article rather than the operational missile, but I could find at least one photo of a missile/launcher that looks close to the Revell kit. Is there any basis in reality for Revell to represent the Honest John in crates on a flatbed? Mike
Reply to
Mike J. Idacavage
A guess on my part is that someone for Revell may have gone to a base and seen one being administratively moved around the base by a contractor. It would have been a 2 + 2 = 5 equation, but a lot of mistakes in the 1950s and 1960s came from such things.
Recall that the Revell designers did it mostly right with the guesses that they made on the designs of the Yak-25, Mya-4 and the second version of the "George Washington" SSBNs which bugged the daylights out of the Pentagon at the time.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
hey cookie, i found some old scale modelers. onr had an armor build of yours. looked sweet.
Wow! Don't even remember that one!
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
lemmie find the stats.....
july 1994 fine scale modeler-iraqi t62 m. very nice build. any more pics?
I don't think the Yak-25 was guesses on their part - one of the popular science magazines at the time had an article on the Yak-25 - one of the mags I subscribed to as a kid. Then later Revell released the model.
The Honest John on a Trailer to me seemed an attempt at the best of two worlds - Revell started out with auto models trucks etc. This gave them a shot at a truck that the military folks may also buy.
Val Kraut
Reply to
Val Kraut
Oh, no wonder! Didn't think I ever had anything published in Sid Chivers' mags.
No, no more photos at the moment, but am now working on a model of a T-62 prototype that led directly to the T-72 so will have fun with that one for a while!
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
Val,
That came out of a 1960 article in "Time" on the presdient of Revell and the items were quotes from him. They had a photo of him spitting out water in his swimming pool with the "George Washington" in his hand.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
well, it was a good article and build. looked hard, too, but the results were a knokout.