RenFoam?

Hi Guys, The Sci-Fi guys sometimes use a dense,sandable foam called RenFoam for scratchbuilding. I emailed several modelers (weeks ago) who use it or a similar product, but have gotten no responses. No luck on the net either. Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is and where it can be found? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA, Dave-out...

Reply to
Dave Pepper

Well, I don't know if this is the same stuff you're looking for, but there was an article in FSM in 2-2000 by a man called Bob Santos about carving a model out of a material called Ultra Pro-Shape. The article list this material as produced by A.D.M. Model supplies, P.O. Box 162491, Altamonte Springs, FL 32716-2491.

I've no experience with this process or material myself, but maybe the above helps.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

starfusion

I have no experience with it either but I have been at Mr. Santos' house and he has a scratchbuilt model collection that would cause museums' severe envy. He even had a small hobby shop in his basement. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I noticed that they did not actually show prices- wanted you to ask for quote. I know some guys that use a foam like that for patterns for resin casting. It seems to be worth its weight in gold. I'll stick with basswood till I find something cheaper.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

The advantage to Renshape is that you can mill it with standard milling tools.

Reply to
Ron