Revell U-Boat

If writing has a "tone" the way speech does, this one is nice and snotty. I suppose we all also need someone to look down on for one reason or another.

Okay, good for you.

It got quite a lot of intl. attention when it was first developed. Even Pravda ran an article about it, as it was around the end of the Soviet Union and the intl. community was jumping into that market en masse while all the folks there were trying to learn about capitalism.

Out of curiosity, how many of his observations were acted upon at some point? Alternately, how many of his thoughts were independantly identified by those companies internally? Is it possible, that he was right and the staffs of those companies have changed since then? Other?

Please recognize the difference in that example and my own comments. Also, please note all my personal views on the issue at hand.

If you didn't notice, I made no comment about accuracy of kits or other company practices. Further, I noted that while mistakes certainly happen, this was no mere typo and could easily have been caught before it "hit the street." Finally, I have given them full credit for doing right by the first buyers.

The Capt. is right about one thing, a track record of this type of thing would be vastly worse.

BTW: in reference to other suggestions that I didn't get the lower price, that is correct. The added idea that I thus have a case of sour grapes is wrong since I don't build submarines.

Reply to
SamVanga

Did you really think that you'd get a new 3 foot sub for $25?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

And the Hubble space telescope should have never made it to orbit with an out of focus mirror.....but it did.

Reply to
George Myers

They only cost about half that at Togo's

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I was wondering when someone would bring that one up!!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

You can thanks an incompetent Perkin-Elmer employee, a lazy GQA and a messy property cage for that. The whole truth made the rounds of every major aerospace contractor at the time and everyone I know of wanted a few sets of testicles on anvils and large sledge hammers........

Reply to
Ron

Agreed - the price is too high when you don't buy a kit you would like to build, and it's suitable when you buy it. If you buy a pile of the, it's probably to cheep. Only time one can feel justified to complain on the prices is when they are lowered greatly after you bought it. Or perhaps if you buy an expensive kit that is not at all buildable, bad fit and poor detail.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

You can't even get that at Mr Submarine! Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Ok...just to put this "inflated pricing" thing in it's place...if you REALLY want a large scale U-Boat kit, your only other choice (that I am aware of) is the VERY nice kit from Amati of the U-47 in 1/72. With resin, etch, metal, and other mixed media parts it retails for $399.95...currently selling at Model Expo for $249.99. But you better hurry, there's only 4 left...

Even if the all plastic Revell kit is $100, if they produce a quality kit I'll buy one - and be greatful, by comparison. If you want to play, you gotsta pay. That's just the way it goes.

Reply to
Rufus

the astronomers had more radical therapy in mind.

They managed to fix it but now all the pictures they get have "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" written across the bottom.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

You guys would have loved one of the entries in IPMS Region 2 a few years back.

It had the Hubble Space Telescope with dark glasses and a cane and a seeing eye ESA satellite...

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Hey Rufus! Wait till the aircraft modellers see the price on the new Trumpeter 1/32 scale Lockheed P-38 Lightning. It will make the old Revell kit that they have sitting on the shelf look better and better.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yeah - I'm beginning to wonder what I'll do with my 1/32 Revell Martlet (Wildcat) and Corsair kits now that I've got the Trumpeter ones...in fact, I've got a second Trumpeter Wildcat on the way - planning to make an FM-2 out of it. I may actually still build the Revell Corsair...in a fit of self abuse...

And that Revell P-38 in my closet is beginning to hear the footsteps...wish Trumpeter would do a 1/32 P-61...one of the last two left in the world is located at a museum in China, so I hear...hint, hint...

Reply to
Rufus

True, And a few people lost their jobs over it. However, that one was so big, you really just plain have to wonder what in the hell happened (repeatedly and over time)?

Reply to
SamVanga

ROFLMAO!!!! That is class!

Reply to
SamVanga

Can't say I had much of an opinion either way since I don't build them. However, I imagine that given enough time, such a thing could be possible.

More to the current point, why on earth would anyone on the manufactering end think that? And, why would it take more than a couple of hours to make the correction once the mistake was found?

As I consider it...

Bear with me as I brainstorm in "Futuristic Fantasy Land" for a moment (was just listening to a thing on Hist. Channel that mentioned the heyday of flight when they hoped for a plane in every garage).

Suppose that as new technologies like the 3d printers become common and cheap, the model experience becomes something different. Suppose in the future that companies make their money by selling plans/patterns/reference info/materials to builders who do the rest. Rather like the sewing at home market today.

This may not be as crazy as it sounds at first blush. A co-worker of mine already does this in his woodworking hobby. Since our hobby started in wood, maybe we will continue to follow that medium's development.

I dunno, seems like a neat idea though.

Reply to
SamVanga

Full agreement there.