Ship Finishing Observation - Why Rarely Weathered??

...I work with aircraft. I just got to go floating with a cadre of E/F instructor pilots during their initial CQ. Good experience.

Reply to
Rufus

Eh, I hate switching software when I have works 99.9% of the time.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Sail is generally a postwar nomenclature starting with the fleet snowkel mods.

I bet if you find the original German drawings it's one of those multisyllabic words that can mean either casement or superstructure when applied to ships.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Did that in the 80's for "field installation" which to me is a bit of a misnomer when all I saw for three weeks was water, flight deck and interior spaces............all I smelled was fuel oil, jet fuel, paint and crew farts depending what part of the ship I happened to be in at the time.

Reply to
Ron Smith

boats are targets.....sloooow targets.

Reply to
someone

it does seem pretty intuitive. i have it on one of the spare boxes and it seems bullet proof. i got my new box almost debugged. so it's time to mess things up. i posted music as yenc power poster yesterday. forgot that options need resetting...

Reply to
someone

does toolhuas work with the monkey?

Reply to
someone

I use a Mac, so probably not for me...

Reply to
Rufus

Thats not what the other guy, Rufus, said. He said it was family snapshots. Hey I will accept that the officer class is generally a privileged one in most societies, but in the closing days of the war, wouldn't such resources be exceedingly scarce? Any links/scans appreciated of such German sub pics in the closing days of the war. You guys are the ones studying Uboats. Me, I just worked at General Dynamics Electric Boat for a while. :-)

I accept that corrosion of the pressure hull plating is something pretty important. If you want to argue that neglecting to maintain the paint system on hydrodynamic fairings for 28 days or 42 days threatens the survival of a sub, go ahead.

You know the undersides of surface ships go months being immersed in saltwater without being drydocked and repainted. Metallic naval structures can handle it.

Too bad sci.military.naval is a shadow of its former self or some of those guys would straighten you 2 out.

Reply to
pj

So what exactly was the supply situation of such items in the German Navy in say the last year or 6 months of the war?

Reply to
pj

Okay, you say "completely refit and freshly painted" here, sounds meticulous to me...but down below you say...

You say you are not saying "meticulous"? And if you know something is not going to survive very long, why spend precious time and resources on non-essentials?

Reply to
pj

Wow was U505 "refit and freshly painted" before her final deployment? To be fair, the pics could have been taken a week or 2 after her capture and she was shot at and depth charged. And according to wikipedia (yeah yeah) she was something of a dockside queen.

I'd like to see her next time I am in Chicago.
So what does rust look like in a black&white photo?

Reply to
pj

Good enough that the boats weren't rusty...go look at some pics of the Allies scuttling U-boats during Operation Deadlight. No rusty boats in those photos.

Reply to
Rufus

Somehow I can almost see the military math working out with the squids being detailled to paint the boats before scuttling them. I don't believe that's the case, but if it were, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Of course I'm still trying to figure out the good in putting the USS America on the bottom.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

No - because "meticulous" implies they were refinished to factory spec or better, and that's not what I am saying - they were probably refinished with whatever was on hand, and maybe in accord with the Captain's wishes to some extent as to coloration and markings. But they were freshly and completely refinished between patrols nonetheless. That's historical fact.

As I said before - as a technical matter of survival. It would be tantamount to downloading rifle cartridges to save on powder.

I'm not talking "museum quality" paint work here and it doesn't matter if the paint was slopped on with a mop, but they were completely repainted during refit - and that information is as documented by an eyewitness source.

Reply to
Rufus

Yeah...and I've been wondering if they plan to do that with USS Kennedy. Last I heard was that she was to be moved somewhere for deep preservation, but I'd hope they at least turn her into a museum and not sink her.

I think most of the Operation Deadlight pics I've seen have been from Brit sources - doesn't look like the swabbies refinished them, but they did strip them of armaments prior to scuttle. And I think they also sailed them around a bit for evaluation.

Reply to
Rufus

To analyze exactly what a carrier of the type can take and still float.

Reply to
Ron Smith

snipped-for-privacy@fakedomain.com (pj) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.flex.com:

Not sure, but ...

Tangentially, what model would work best to paint pink (to match the sub in the Cary Grant/Tony Curtis movie)?

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

Probably Trumpeter's 1/144 scale late war Gato.

Reply to
Ron Smith

A Gato.

Reply to