Sorta OT: Is RMS fading away?

Click on this: news:alt.binaries.models.scale and your newsreader should come up on that group so that you can subscribe to it.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Dwight Koslowski" wrote

Actually, the absence of binaries is necessary given the way usenet works. And it DOES work. Consider for a moment, that if Brett's server dies and his backups are screwed, all of Hyperscale, pictures and all, are gone forever.

Then consider that there are *hundreds* and maybe *thousands* of news servers carrying these posts. If one dies, the posts remain, if 50 die, same same. And all the content is searchable, at least as far back as the changeover in archiving methods, using fairly simple search tools.

Swings and roundabouts. Usenet, like the internet itself, is designed to ride out the destruction of part of the structure. Web based discussion sites are a different, sometimes superior, sometimes not, kettle of fish

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

I haven't been here much at all since August, not that I posted a whole lot before then. My interest has shifted to my 1:1 car that I am collecting parts for and hope to start building once I learn how to weld. It is in so many pieces I tell everyone that it is the biggest model kit around :-) Although I did buy a 1:16 scale front engined dragster last weekend, so I am not completely gone from the hobby. I too miss a lot of the older posters (in terms of years here, not age), but I hope that this group can hang on, it has been a lot more fun and educational than the car only groups I have checked out in the past. Bring back the Mon-key!!! russ

Reply to
Russ Osborne

And google has onboard all Deja News as well - or is that what you are talking about?

Reply to
Dave Fleming