Spitfire cockpit details

Was wondering what the dual oxygen tank looking "thing" is on the port side. The instructions (Hasegawa, Mk Vb) indicate it should be red...which I take to mean it is some type of fire suppresant system. But, others on the internet have suggested it's an oxygen tank...which is confusing because the pilot's oxygen is behind the seat.

It could be purple for all I know..but I hope there's someone out there with much better insight than me...any help on identifying the proper color and function would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

PS Work report time was delayed 2hrs due to snow...nothing like 2 early morning hours to enjoy coffee and some "alone time" with a Spitfire!!!

Reply to
Scherer

There is indeed an oxygen tank behind the seat on the starboard side. There is another one in the rear fuselage.

The two large tanks contain compressed air for the pneumatic system which operates the guns and the flaps. They should be black, but like all tanks of this nature, they got pretty battered around during maintenance and so a certain amount of drybrushed silver over the top would be in order.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Wow....glad I asked! I'm not an award winner (yet), but want to make it as accurate as I can. Black it is!!

Thanks!

Reply to
Scherer

You have _got_ to see this guy's website:

's building a replica Spitfire Mk V cockpit from all the original plans, and boy is it a beauty. If you are looking for internal cockpit details, this is the place to go!

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Rookie...

...ok...I'm tired...there's a guy out there that built a REALLY nice F-4E, but I I can't seem to find him. I'm on the verge of building an F-16 myself...gotta do something with my old computer.

Reply to
Rufus