Very OT: Anyone remember "Clutch Cargo" cartoons ??

found this gem on the monstersinmotion website.

they superimposed the voice actors lips onto the cartoon characters. from around 1959 I think. Luckily I missed out on this classic.

Craig

crw59

Serious flashbacks...

I *knew* I wasn't insane! It really did exist!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Gray

70's hair and mor kings.
Reply to
someone

...with Spinner and Paddlefoot.

Reply to
Rufus

Why is it always Clutch Cargo???,I watched Space Angel,done by the same creators,Space was shown more in my opinoin.

Reply to
teem

...an improvised explosive coconut!

I have a harder time finding people that remember Fireball XL-5...but maybe not here?..

Reply to
Rufus

You can get DVDs of the show at Dollar Tree (or Amazon.com). It's marketed by East West Entertainment.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

They always scared me being that I was 7 at the time.......jim

Reply to
jimbol51

great stuff! if it flew or mover through the ether, i watched it.

Reply to
someone

Yeah, I saw that when I was a kid...it was put on TV by Cass Clay Dairy out of Fargo as a lure to get kid's parents to buy their milk that was advertised at the beginning and end of each five minute episode slice. The empty milk cartons could be cut up to make crude toys...wax-covered cardboard toys that sucked, the way that Clutch Cargo sucked. As a trivia note, there's a Clutch Cargo episode showing on a TV in the movie "Pulp Fiction". The loopy animation technique was called Syncro-Vox:

"To further cut costs, Gillette and special-effects man, Scotty Tomany supplemented Syncro-Vox with other time- and money-saving tricks. Haas explained, "We are not making animated cartoons. We are photographing 'motorized movement' and-- the biggest trick of all-- combining it with live action. This enables us to produce film at about one-fifth what it costs Hanna and Barbera."

And about one-fifth the quality also. I think Race Bannon should have hunted down Clutch Cargo and beaten the living crap out of the guy, then left him staked out in the open where a Pteranodon could eat him. Later, Bandit could have gnawed and buried his bones. Yeah, that would have been really choice. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

&$%#en Clutch Cargo! Jet Jackson should have crammed him into the afterburner, and cranked up the engine. I spent an entire week watching those episodes where they were on the trail of giant birds, based on huge footprints they found. You know what they found? Birds with _giant feet_, that's what they found! I mean it's a _cartoon_ ! They could have found anything... they could have assumed it's a giant bird...and it's actually a Tyrannosaurus Rex! Now that would have kicked ass! That would have made all that week watching those tiny episodes worth it. But no...emu-sized birds with giant feet! Those milk carton toys burnt great in the incinerator: "Oh, look - its a crappy waxy cardboard school bus. Oh, look - it's a crappy waxy cardboard school bus...in Dresden, Germany." :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Now _this_ is great TV:

giant-footed birds in there, by God! Just Cute, Personality-Filled Monkeys (CPFMs) who have been taught to act and play musical instruments via a gentle application of starvation, reward, and cattle prods. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

XL-5. You bet !!!! Bought the launch ramp toy with the spacecraft several times. great stuff. I think CutlTV has the XL-5 craft, not as a model though. I really should get that one.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Think I've seen that one - wouldn't mind having an XL-5 on the shelf.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote:

I _worshiped_ Fireball XL-5 as a kid. One good question...do you think the other side of the hill the launch track went up was littered with around a thousand solid-fueled RATO launch sleds? They used to hurl one over the top of the hill every time they took off. Remember this?:

to get this vaguely back on-topic for the newsgroup, there are, or at least were, models of the Fireball XL-5 out there, both pre-built and kits:
?products_id=5337Some of the links don't work here, but anyway:
wait till you see this:
point to doing the simulation is to tie your hands to the ceiling via thin silver elastic threads, and rolling your eyes around a lot while maintaining a wooden expression. Fireball XL-5 really lends itself to a model rocket design, provided you get the CG forward far enough. The basic design is cylindrical with a squat ogive nose, and the design does have enough horizontal and vertical fin area to make it stable in flight. Mind you, it's cheating to launch it vertically. You should build around a fifty-foot-long track for it. After you launch the XL-5, you can run your models of the Sanger Antipodal Bomber and the Ark from "When Worlds Collide" down it. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Oh yeah? How did Sky King short out the house's electrical system and catch the bad guy in the dark? And for a real model trivia question, where did the Jet Jackson (AKA Captain Midnight) model jet they used in the flying scenes in the series come from? That's a neat story.

Commando Cody

Reply to
Pat Flannery

You missed very little. I watched them on WFIL in the afternoons. Sally Starr had a cartoon show and played Popeye, Three Stooges, Warner cartoons and Clutch. Considering that Oprah's on at that time right now I wonder how the kids do their homework without some funnies on the TV. Sometimes I'd venture over to WCAU and watch the cut-down, commercialed-up Early Show movies if there was a classic on. All the really good movies were on at 11:30PM after the news. When I griped about that my father said I could wait until I was old enough to stay up that late. Well, I'm old enough but there are no late movies except Saturday and Sunday nights on WPVI (ex-WFIL). Cra-ap!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

One of life lessons I learned from them -"I can land without landing gear but he can't land without wings!" plus he flew a deHavland(?) Beaver

Reply to
Dan drumm

Jet Jackson???? Surely you mean Captain Midnight!

Reply to
The Old Man

When I saw it on TV, it was "Jet Jackson". As to "Jet Jingo".... check your email inbox.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery