WAY OT: Death in this modern age

I'd thought about this a few decades back, and now it looks like it's starting to happen. The start of the real age of movie, music and TV stars and superstars was in the early to mid-50's and now the people we grew up with are getting to be 75-100 years old. I think this year we've started to see the obits of the icons we grew up with. There have always been a few each year, but from now on we will probably see lots of sitcom stars, movie stars, and rockstars, etc. shuffling off this mortal coil.

Reply to
dave999

I heard Buddy Ebsen died today.

So it goes

Tim Brimelow

Reply to
tim brimelow

I don't know about that mid 50s start date (and Buddy Ebsen was acting in the

30s) but the icons we grow up with always die off as we age...story of the ages...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308

and rebellion these days is a soft drink or sneaker logo. a lot of our icons should have hung it up long ago.

As evidenced by the sale of West Coast Choppers and Orange County Choppers t-shirts in the shopping malls...

I doubt most of the kids shopping in "Hot Topic" have ever been on a bike, let alone a chopper...but they can watch them on Discovery, and I guess that's close enough to make money off of...

Reply to
Rufus

the day i put teutle's logo on my back, pigs will fly and dogs sing. jessie james ain't no bargain either. the generic chopper business is lucrative and boring.

I didn't think it was all that lucrative based on the numbers of those that tried and are now out of biz...parts, maybe...but whole bikes...I dunno.

Got me even more hell-bent to build one of my own around a crate motor, though. Someday.

Reply to
Rufus

i would buy one of those new build indian 80" motors and build a very old school hard tail. with nitrous, discs and a super cam.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Panzer motor...in a chrome wishbone frame, with an open primary.

Or to mix the modern with the old school and do a hardtail around a Harley Screamin' Eagle 103CI fuelie.

Reply to
Rufus

Gentlemen, I have one word for you: DUCATI

'Nuff said.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

in this country, the ducks quackers are even worse rubs that the beamers. i wouldn't mind a 450 desmo or a square case to chop, but they are way overpriced in any model.

e, Eh? Say again, cobber. And Dukes are expensive here, too. But at least you don't have to spend the same again to make them go, handle and stop.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

big and mostly empty. i like that part.

aussie's have a navy? i thought you just chased away the drunken cruise ships.

Well, we glorify it with the name RAN. It's really more of a patrol boat flotilla with a couple of attached destroyers and a leaky sub or two.......(not to forget the SeaSprites we got for a steal last year!). Makes good company for the army with its' two rusty SMLEs and the RAAF, cast-off '60s US bombers, helos that fall outta the sky at the least provocation and superannuated Hercs and 'Bous.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg