Williams Bros 1/53 scale Electra

Just a question purely out of interest. Why did Williams Bros choose this unusual scale? Cheers Steve

Reply to
yellowwolf

Because a model of that size fit their molding machinery and their standard boxes...so, essentially, it's what we old-timers from the early days of plastic kits knew as "box-scale".

A friend of mine once asked them this very question and they told him they didn't realize that so many modelers who would otherwise have bought an Electra in a standard scale would refuse to buy it in this odd scale because it doesn't fit into their collections.

Jim Whitley Programs Manager

2005 IPMS/USA National Convention
Jim Whitley

Yeah, but would a 1/48 (or maybe even a 1/32?) Electra be any bigger than a 1/72 C-46?

Jim Whitley wrote:

Reply to
frank

Maybe they were out of C-46 boxes. :-)

Personally, I wish they had done it in 1/32nd scale. Also wish they had done my three favorite Thompson trophy racers, Benny Howard's "Mr. Mulligan", Rudy Kling's "Folkert's Special", and Roscoe Turner's "Laird-Turner Special". Also wish they'd gotten the Sirius out before closing up shop.

Reply to
Jim Whitley

FWIW,

I heard on Hyperscale that the real reason was sabotage - their mold-maker was angry at them for some reason, and intentionally made the mold in an off scale to get revenge at the owners.

Tom Test

Reply to
RocketArm2424

wrote

C'mon.

That sounds like something that would've been solved by a lawsuit - or maybe a Theft of Services criminal complaint - well before issuing any kit. Even stupid juries realize that when you contract for 48 and get 53, something's amiss.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin