Zimmerit question

Hi all

Have just acquired a Tamiya 1/35 Porsche King Tiger from eBay. Were all the Porsche Tigers fitted with Zimmerit?

I'm planning to use the Voyager Models PE set with this kit; if Zimmerit is required at what stage should I add it, before or after detailing with the PE?

As to the Zimmerit itself, what's the best putty/method for applying, or should I go with an Atak kit? Anyone here used one of the Atak sets?

Cheers!

Graham 'Rip' Townsend

Graham Townsend

All Porsche units were fitted with zimmerit.

Putty zimmerit is a bitch....you need to mark where detail parts go and then for some mask (so the zim doesn't cover that spot) and others just press the part into the zim so you know where it goes when the zim cures.

I haven't used Atak but I hear good things about it. I have used Cavalier and it works pretty good once you figure it out. Cut it from the backing with a very sharp blade, I prefer to cut with backing aroung the edge then when the piece is by itself, trim the final bits of backing. Test fit, if it over hangs a little, no problem, if it's a little short, you'll have to some putty touchup after applying the resin panels. I like Devcon 5 minute epoxy gel to hold it in place. I do use a few drops of CA spaced along one edge to hold it in place while the epoxy cures. Use Tamiya tape to makes sure it stays flat until the epoxy curs. After 20 minutes or so, remove the tape and gently trim any excess epoxy with a sharp blade, then sand the edges to blend it into the hull. Repeat for the next panel. Sounds complicated but it's far easier and less time consuming than putty zim.

Reply to
Ron

I have owned sets from both brands and I recommend the purchase of Atak and the avoidance of Cavalier. Atak made their masters by the tedious putty method which is the way the real stuff was done. It looks great. Cavalier used the quick and dirty putty method of dragging a razor saw across the putty. Not surprisingly, it looks like somebody dragged a razor saw across the tank. . . There may be some sets of cross-hatched or tile patterns that are OK. It does seem that Atak is currently producing new sets for kits as they come out, but I'm not sure about Cavalier.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Thanks for all the info, think I'll go with the Atak sets based on what you've told me.

Regards

Graham 'Rip' Townsend

Graham Townsend