BOM question - sw2004

first time using the BOM tool in sw2004sp3... In column properties, trying to link contents to custom properties of the assembly model. When I select "user defined" I would have expected it to list any user defined properties within the assembly model file, but that would have been too easy, I suppose.

Instead it lists only the some default document properties (I think these are properties for the drawing file). I can't see any of the model's user defined properties and typing in a value is locked out. Only list selection can be done at this point.

I hope I am missing something simple, or else this tool is pretty much worthless.

Any ideas?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

it would simple, but leave it to sw to un-simplify.

- insert column into bom

- select column (scroll)

- (in fm) select column properties

your model properties should be listed now

cheers, kb

Reply to
kenneth b

Your procedure is what I had been trying and I can't get to work: In column properties, "user defined" is selected I would have expected it to list any user defined properties within the assembly model file, but instead it lists only some default document properties (I think these are properties for the drawing file: "SW-Author", SW-Date", etc). I can't see any of the model's user defined properties and typing in a value is locked out. Only list selection can be done at this point. It seems like the column properties function is unaware of the assy model file that was used to create the BOM.?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

let me simplify,

you must select the "entire" column in bom, before you can get model properties to display

Reply to
kenneth b

That helped. I also found out that the first component in the assy had a conflict, in that the same property was called out in both the general custom props and also in the config specific props. Once I fixed that, the procedure I was doing before worked. Anyway, thanks for your help. Bill

Reply to
bill allemann