Curious, when do things appear in the picklist

I like to think I'm smartish, but after 8 years SW use, I still havnt been able to figure out what determines whether a file appears on the file/open picklist or in what order the files appear in the picklist.

For example, I may open a file, change it, save and close it. That, I would imagine would make it qualify for appearing on the recently used pick list, but nooo. I have a file last used 3 days ago at number 3 on the pick list and files I have used and changed all morning are nowhere to be seen.

Anyone cracked the code? malcolm

Reply to
rankamateur

Have you crashed out? If you open a file, work on it, and then crash before closing SW, it won't show up in the list.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Oh yeah, theres that crashing thing malcolm

Reply to
rankamateur

I've noticed that myself. It seems like the recent file list is generated by some random number thing. The list seems to represent some state from maybe 4 to 8 swx sessions back, but without any predictability. I've seen this for years on all versions, all machines. The only windows software I've ever seen that displayed this bug. Maybe it's some kind of inside joke with the programmers?

bill

Reply to
bill a

I have noticed that files that I open using my custom open dialogue don't make the list at all

Interesting Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich