Re: HP 5100tn printing problems in SoWo

Has anyone else experienced problems printing from SolidWorks to a

> 5000 series HP printer? We have had at least 50 HP printers over the > years and have not had any trouble to speak of when it comes to > drivers. One of our outside consultants for Windows keeps telling us > that we absolutely should be using the PCL 6 or 5e drivers to get the > most out of the printers. The problem is that anything printed from > SoWo comes out portrait on 8 1/2 paper. Can't landscape or print to > 11x17 no matter what preferences are set for the printer or any other > settings. The only way to make things work for SoWo is to go back to > the HP 5000 series PCL driver (which is PCL 4). Then things work > fine. Unfortunately some of the advanced printer features go away as > well. Any ideas?

No experience with the 5000, but I have 4 HP printers & plotters of various vintages in the office, and all of them run perfectly with the bundled Win

2K drivers from Microsoft. I've had many problems with HP-provided drivers and abandoned them entirely. They also tended to install unwanted toolboxes and utilities. I recall some comments several years ago that HP and MS had an ongoing dispute over the choice of drivers. MS wins on this point, in my opinion.

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Eric,

I use an HP 5000 everyday. I always us the postscript driver. HP 5000 PS

This driver works well for all SW printing. I don't remember if it loads automatically or I had to look for it on the disk. I also have enabled advanced printing features on the advanced tab.

I hope this helps. The driver is the original printer driver as far as I remember.

Tom Chasteen

Reply to
Tom Chasteen