SWX 2007 and 3D PDF

FYI, When saving a model as a .u3d file for importing into acrobat 3D, Solidworks saves the file as a .U3D file. To get the 3D to import you have to redo the extension to .u3d(lowercase letters) then it functions normally.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Unbelievable.

Something as basic as case sensitivity for a file suffix is still a problem.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

Actually, I think this is more of a problem with Acrobat 3D, not SWX. The Windows operating system is case _insensitive_, and any sensitivity showing up is, as far as I know, at the application level.

Dave

Tim Markoski wrote:

Reply to
Dave Nay

This is something that SHOULD have been caught in Beta Testing.

The point is that SW has the option to save in this format. The file should be 100% correct for the requirements of the application.

The onus is on SolidWorks.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

SWX has plenty of strikes against them, but I really don't think this is one of them. ALL CAPS, all lower case or A MiX of PunCTuatION makes no difference in windows. If Acrobat can't open the file, it's Adobe's problem, not SWX.

Reply to
Dave Nay

Your logic is flawed.

SolidWorks created the file. The file doesn't work as created.

It should be created per the requirements of the application it is to be used by.

Repeating how Windows handles the file is completely irrelevant.

Reply to
Tim Markoski

Regardless of who is at fault, Windows in general is all too often inconsistently consistent in a lot of interface items, because top managers at MS appear to not be too interested in maintaining a consistent user experience.

Perhaps they are so powerful being senior managers...that they no longer use computers themselves at their own keyboards?

I have to use MS products, but I don't have to like them or respect them, and I don't. I wish I did, because I want to work faster with fewer problems.

Bo

mark Bannister wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Why then is it required that Pro E files have no spaces in them. SW adds the _ for any place that requires a space. It's stupid that the file names have to be case sensative so you can blame it on BOTH SW and ADOBE. Adobe for making it case sensative and SW for not following the Adobe file naming like they do with Pro E

Jumping in... Window's defines rules of how good programs should be behave. SWs has followed them. Adobe screwed up. Mark B.

Reply to
mark Bannister

It does to SolidWorks though, Just last week, I found out that in SolidWorks 2006 SP4.1 there is a known bug with extensions not being in lower case. These were the Drawing format templates. They must be in lower case for some reason.

Reply to
MrSlabaugh

FYI, There has been a SPR issued on this little glitch.

Mike

"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:MeGIg.18$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.lga...

Reply to
Michael Eckstein