AMRA Hurstville Exhibition

Well, I spent the day over there setting up the U Drive and helping other set up layouts. I hadnt been inside before this and after all the negative comments was very surprised about how big it is. It looks (and the exhibition manager tells me) like the floorspace is bigger than Liverpool. I overheard the Liverpool complex is now going to be fixed up and there is a long outside chance we may be able to return to that location next year if we want to. However, I get the impression the committee is pleased with the Hurstville venue and if it is a success this year they think they might like to continue it there. Lot of things to come out in the wash yet. Already looked out some bargains. Hope I can get in before all the vultures! Look me up on the U Drive. Bring your kids. My 4 yr old grandson was very helpful and had a marvellous time helping me set up. Your kids will enjoy running the trains. .......................................Bill

Reply to
William Whale

I have just returned fom the exhibition. The new venue, looks about the same size as the old one, parking not quite as good, but from what I can gather there were more through the front door than last year. This was confirmed by a couple of retail stores where most were doing a thriving business.

I beleive this new location is one that has more of an opportunity to attract passer by's, & being part of a large aquatic centre & I think it could attract families who go to the Aquatic centre

I must admit that I had reservations at the location but having visited I think it has more prospects than Liverpool. It reaches a completely new area, & as I waited for my personal taxi to pick me up, I was asked by many people what the show was about.

If the feed back from all the stall holders is possitive, & certainly I think the crowds on the first day seemed high, perhaps it would be worthwhile staying at Hurstville for a few years, & then go into another area to test the waters.

Maybe this is a way of advertising the hobby.

Interesting was one older chap, who said he had not been to one for years, could only remember the ones at the Town Hall & a race course.

Colin Hussey

Reply to
a6et

I certainly hope Lloyd and Norma (Lloyd's Model Railways - which is officially closing down after tomorrow's day of the exhbition) do a roaring trade this weekend! After supporting our hobby for so long with many excellent products they deserve to go out with a big bang! I hope the two of them enjoy a happy 'retirement'.

Unfortunately I probably won't get to the exhibition due to work (working early AM's), no money to spend (!), and not feeling up to hoarding my four kids (all under 10) around the venue, but Monday's are traditionally the slowest day so that'll be the aim if I decide to go.

That's certainly one good point - it's a highly visible, fairly new and much 'cleaner' venue.

8-) Good way to publicise the event! Besides the serious lack of on-site parking (which means the local streets are going to be overcrowded with parked cars), the venue has plenty of things to give it merit over the aging and very ugly Whitlam Centre.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
C. Dewick