Back to the Penn Line Atlantic

And after taking it apart for the 57th time... one of the damn microscopic rivets popped, and I can't find the *one* spare that came with the kit, and I'm not spending $5.50 for that. So, either I use a piece of wire, or I try to solder a piece of wire to the head of the rivet, or maybe I'll find a microscopic brass nail....

mark, unbelievably pissed

Reply to
mark

I avoid using rivots and prefer steel sewing pins: 1: insert pin through hole in part A 2: stick through a small piece of paper 3: insert through hole in part B and solder pin to back of same 4: snip off excess pin, tear out paper and file away any excess solder that may be present

The paper not only functions as a spacer between the valve gear parts, but, prevents them being soldered together. This idea is by no means original. I believe I came across it about forty years ago in MR. HTH.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

That rivet shouldn't hit ANYTHING. The "piston" of the upper part is the "valve". It should jiggle back and forth when the lower piston (the actual piston) reaches each end of it's travel.

Actually that rod/rivet shouldn't move very far at all, so (without seeing it) I'm suspicious that the excentric crank , which screws to the driving wheel, is mounted on the rong angle. (too far out) The connecting and coupling rod screw holds the eccentric that drives the valve gear should drive the vg at 90 degrees out from the connecting rod/piston. Until the screw is tightened it can flop about at any angle, but there should be a stop so it sits at 90 degrees and gives a through some where about half the connecting rod/piston throw.

The purpose of all those levers and rods is so the valve moves back and forth in the opposite sequence to the piston but pauses at each end of it's movement.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

A sewing pin or a tiny brass nail should do the job. You can put the nail in an electric drill and apply a needle file to it to shape a replacement pin. Remember to file to shape from the end away from the chuck and wear a leather gardening glove so the file doesn't get pushed into your hand - nasty/painful.

Reply to
Greg Procter