Dean Freytag

Sure you did. That's why you carefully failed to mention exactly where and when this was.

You are either an outright liar -and don't think anyone's smart enough to catch you at it- or you're completely insane; so let's see which it is, shall we?
(A) You just admitted that you think there *is* a global warming conspiracy, which means that you *are indeed* nuts.
(B) At last count, a *huge* plurality of the world's climate scientists not only still stand completely behind man-caused global warming as being real, but the most recent research clearly demonstrates that it's taking place even faster than the worst former estimates had supposed, and is actually accelerating as it goes along.
(C) Your claim that "the only ones standing ground are the recipients of research grants that would dry up if they admitted it is nonsense" is utterly false. And it's a claim that nobody but the most rabid global warming revisionists could possibly take seriously, because five minutes of Googling will demonstrate it's falsity to anyone with an IQ better than that of a fire hydrant.
On 31/12/2010 18:19, Twibil wrote:

You're the one whose nuts if you deny that there is.

Translated - a plurality of these people are busily thriving on their huge research grants at taxpayers' expense. And successfully bluffing and indoctrinating gullible people like you to support a continuation thereof.
I am one of those who doesn't doubt global warming.
However, I just don't buy into all the claptrap that it's caused by humans.
That's just an excuse so that governments can start impossing a new tax by calling it a "carbon tax", what ever the heck that means. Heck, we are all carbon based life forms.
--
Happy New Year
Roger Traviss

So far, so good.

Then you -or someone- has to demonstrate that there is another cause. And despite a couple of decades of trying, no other cause has yet been found. No other possibility even comes close, and believe me; people have been *looking*!

Oh dear. A conspiracy theorist.
Look: Bush/Cheney did *not* blow up the World Trade Center on orders from the Mossad. Little green men in flying saucers are *not* abducting Earth people and subjecting them to anal probes. Revisionists to the contrary, the WW2 holocaust *did* take place, and millions of innocent people *were* executed in German death camps. (And yes, we really *did* land men on the Moon, too: it wasn't a government hoax.)
The proposed "carbon tax" would simply be a way of changing the tax load to reflect the amount of carbon dioxide that had to be put into the atmosphere in order to build a given item.
Q: Why is it probably going to be needed?
A: To offset the costs of fighting global warming; which are likely to make the recent gummint bailout of the auto industry look like chump change.

True. But that has absolutely *nothing* to do with global warming.

Yup, they sure do: they tell both the far right side *and* the extreme right side.
Fox News is "fair and balanced" like Keith Olbermann and MSNBC are conservative.
On 12/31/2010 12:53 AM, Twibil wrote:

Speaking from past experience in broadcasting where I had to write some news copy to be read on the air, I have some knowledge of how to write copy which is neutral on a subject or not. That Fox News claims to be "fair and balanced" would be laughable if there weren't so many gullible simpletons that actually believe it. Fox News is an example of the *worst* sort of yellow journalism in the history of the American press. They are not a "news" outlet, they are an "opinion" outlet. If they were a daily newspaper what they provide would be equivalent to only printing the op-ed pages, and little more. Fox News is nothing more than a propaganda mill for the factions in this country whose goal is to destroy America from within. I have not yet found a national broadcast news source which is entirely neutral and centered. I listen to NPR's morning and afternoon news magazine shows because they will spend more time on a story than other outlets, and they do try to tell both sides of a story an order of magnitude better than Fox does. I do admit that they lean left, which annoys me at times, but they seem far closer to the center than any other source I have yet listened to or viewed.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
On 31/12/2010 10:37 AM, Rick Jones wrote: [...]

[...]
I don't think that's what they are trying to do, on the contrary, they think they are saving America from itself. They just don't realise what will be the effect of their efforts if they succeed.
Gloomily (and as bystander that will be sucked into the maelstrom), Wolf K.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
- Robert A. Heinlein or Robert J. Hanlon, popularised by Heinlein.

While it is easy to believe Fox is just stupid, I think they just represent greedy rich a**holes who want to retain even a larger percentage of the USA GDP. In this case, there really is malice. They will all relocate off shore when they have finshed ruining the USA economy.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:13:30 -0600, Rick Jones wrote:

Get your history straight. It was almost 2 centuries :-).

On 12/31/2010 7:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Actually.. Less than 100 years...
The replacement motto: "In God We Trust:"
The war of 1812 was an unusual conflict. Both sides claimed victory. The winner depends upon which history books or which country's schools you attended. Also, the war lasted well beyond 1812.
During 1814, Francis Scott Key (a.k.a. Frank) had an eventful September. "Traveling under a white flag, Key met with both an enemy general and admiral, recovered a war prisoner, became a war prisoner, watched a historical bombardment, lost a night's sleep, and wrote" what eventually became the American national anthem: The Star Spangled Banner. 1 The final stanza reads:
"And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.' And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
In 1864, the words were shortened to "In God We Trust" and applied to a newly designed two-cent coin.

However these were not mandated into law until the 1950s.
Prior to that, the official, government endorsed motto was "E pluribus unum".
On 12/31/2010 7:50 PM, Christopher A. Lee wrote:

Almost a century and a half ago, eleven Protestant denominations mounted a campaign to add references to God to the U.S. Constitution and other federal documents. Rev. M.R. Watkinson of Ridleyville PA was the first of many to write a letter to the Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase in 1861 to promote this concept. 2 Watkinson suggested the words "God, Liberty, Law." 3 In 1863, Chase asked the Director of the Mint, James Pollock to prepare suitable wording for a motto to be used on Union coins used during the Civil War. Pollock suggested "Our Trust Is In God," "Our God And Our Country," "God And Our Country," and "God Our Trust." Chase picked "In God We Trust" to be used on some of the government's coins. The phrase was a subtle reminder that the Union considered itself on God's side with respect to slavery. Congress passed enabling legislation. Since a 1837 Act of Congress specified the mottos and devices that were to be placed on U.S. coins, it was necessary to pass another Act to enable the motto to be added. This was done on 1886-APR-22. "The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since"

That was just on coinage. It did not become the national motto until Eisenhower signed that law in the 1950s.
On 12/31/2010 6:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Get *your* history straight. The motto was first used on US coins in 1864, but it was somewhat unofficial and remained so for nearly a century. It's use on money was not mandatory and, in fact, I have in my possession a very old silver certificate that does not have it anywhere on the bill. In 1955, at the height of Cold War hysteria, it was finally officially adopted as the US motto, and it's inclusion on money was made mandatory. It was about the same time that the words "under God" were inserted into the Pledge of Allegiance.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:37:34 -0600, Rick Jones wrote:

Actually, all TV news broadcasts on commercial stations have degraded into opinion and/or infotainment. Fox is just the worst of them. But I agree that they do seem to have an agenda. Most of the others just want to make money by pandering.
Now, back to modeling!

If you laid all the economist from end to end. they still wouldn't reach a conclusion - G. B. Shaw
You guys are mostly from California. If anyone should know what liberal programs can do to an economy you all should. If you're still not convinced, ask someone from Europe.
On 29/12/2010 10:21 PM, a_a_a wrote:

Hear that funny noise in the sky? That's black helicopters hovering over your house right now ....
Hah!
Wolf K.

Um, the *reason* they amounted to a lot less than they probably would have is precisely *because* the WHO got the word out early and often: allowing precautions to be taken that no doubt prevented much wider outbreaks than actually happened.
Doing this is part of the WHO's job.

Dunno.
But it's not a wise man who calls it "fear mongering" when experts the world 'round give fair warning of an upcoming problem.
~Pete
On 27/12/2010 6:25 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

But it was a _great_ convention.
Wolf K.