desert layout

where can i find a good pictures and track plan of some ho desert layout ? thanks!

perando wrote:

Model Railroader occasionally prints pictures of layouts set in the desert country of the southwestern USA, eg, ATSF, SP, UP, etc.
You can use any trackplan for a desert theme, what you really need is information about what deserts look like. For that, I recommend that you look through the books in the geography section of a decent college or public library.
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:02:18 -0500, Wolf Kirchmeir

And have a look at the NMRA website, they have a section with links to members' layouts, never know what you may find there. http://www.nmra.org / Keith

look, i am new here. i am interesting for american countriside layout. it is very hard for me to find specific route in america witch i like to replace. i only imagine old western films with desert coutryside and locos rushing trought it :) i have realy big place for layout so i think that desert will be ideal. big desert layout is my dream! thanks for any help.
perando wrote:

Ok, I understand. You have set yourself a very large project, I think. In your enthusiasm, you've gone at it backwards, however. First, you research railroads that run through desert country. Then you choose one, and also the era (in your case from the middle 1800s to about 1910). Then you design a layout to suit your decision. Or use some track plan that appeals to you, and design desert scenery to go with it.
Here's a list of some of the RRs that run or ran through the desert country of the southwestern and western USA. Some are no longer in existence, some have been merged with bigger railroads. Many people who model these have used desert scenery on part or all of their layouts. But, I repeat, any track plan will do. Google on the railroad names to find out more. And get a good atlas. :-)
Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe (ATSF) Union Pacific (UP) Southern Pacific (SP) San Diego and Arizona Eastern (SD&AE) Texas & Pacific (T&P) Nevada Northern Denver and Rio Grande Western (D&GRW) Missouri, Kansas, Texas Railway (MKT) Missouri Pacific (MP)
There were also many narrow gauge railroads, especially in the Nevada-Colorado region.
By the way: if you have never built a layout before, I _strongly_ advise you to build a small one first. And I mean small: 4ft x 8ft (120cm x 240cm) is a common size for a first layout. Practice your scenery building techniques on it, as the scenery is what will make your layout convincing. It's not easy to make convincing desert scenery. Also, think about the backdrop (back scene): can you paint one that will suggests vast distances? Or do you have a friend who can painty one for you?
You could ask people to post pictures of trains in the desert on the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.railroad.
HTH

thank's your post is big help for me!

?
Perando, Take a look here. Many links to railroads in Arizona both prototype and model layouts. They even have a section on making desert scenery. This should give you a start. http://www.arizonarails.com/az_rail_links.html
Bruce
Get some Atlas snap track. Build a circle of track and toss it in a sand box.
On 29 Dec 2005 20:33:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Make it a used cat box with lumps and it can pass for nebraska.
--
Steve