Do Micro-trains N Scale uncouplers work for HO?

Greetings: I am having an issue with the Kadee uncouplers that are mounted between the rails. They are slightly too high for the Atlas code 83 track on my layout, however, I really do not want to cut the ties to make room for the uncoupler.

Has anybody tried to use Micro-trains N uncouplers on HO models successfully? Or, is there another company that makes thinner magnets?

Question for Kadee: Why don't you guys just make that fits code 83 perfectly?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Johannes

Reply to
TrainsintheMembrane

If it's too much trouble to cut the ties for an uncoupling magnet , than maybe you should consider another hobby.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Thgey just assume that anyone fussy enough to use code 83 or smaller rail will use under the tie magnets to avoid the ugly magnet spoiling the look of their track. So they sell under tie magnets for that purpose. Keith

Reply to
Keith

So what is the Kadee solution for a moveable uncoupling magnet on code

83?
Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

I haven't heard of a movable uncoupler from Kadee or Microtrains. I have read many reports of people opening the couplers with kabob skewers. Rix Products produces a mobile magnetic uncoupler though.

"Uncoupling Tool HO 628-0014 $3.49" "The Rix Uncoupling Tool is Designed to work with the Kadee® style Couplers. Place the Rix Uncoupling Tool down between the cars until the magnets rest against the rails, push one of the cars towards the other and the two magnets will cause the couplers to release."

A white plastic device that stradles the couplers. Shape similar to a lower case "h". The upper part is a handle. There are magnets on both lower legs.

Reply to
RobertVA

But if you're going to do that, why not just use a bamboo barbecue skewer?

Reply to
Steve Caple

But wouldn't the uncoupler described by the OP, that sits between the rails but on top of the ties, also serve the same purpose, except better? It could be placed at a convenient site where uncoupling action is expected before the train is moved there, and then the uncoupling could take place as needed. I think it sounds like a good idea if you want remote magnetic uncoupling. It makes more sense to me than the Rix, which seems more tedious than the bamboo skewer.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

How would you hold it down? I would expect the magnet to stick up onto the first couplers to move over it. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Glue works fine, for securing the magnet to the ties.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Then it would not be movable, try to keep up with the discussion. Keith

Reply to
Keith

If it's like the Microtrains (N scale) version it would protrude too high and catch the coupler trip pins. The Microtrains version needs to have a groove cut into the ties so it will be below the top of the N scale rails. I'm not sure it would work properly if it's not PRECISELY centered either.

Being an N scale model railroader I haven't had an opportunity to try the RIX product, as it won't fit between or around N scale cars. Getting the tip of that skewer into that coupler (HO or N) sounds like a smallish target though. I've heard of people attaching them to a small flashlight.

If it's just a matter of being to late to install under track magnets I've heard of people installing clusters of tiny cyilentrical "rare Earth" magnets in dual rows by drilling holes and gluing the magnets in the holes. You could probably hide the magnets with a dab of paint and some ballast.

Reply to
RobertVA

Good question. Could it be heavy enough to be held down by gravity but thin enough to clear the rails and still powerful enough to open the pins? Does a regular Kadee uncoupler jump up to an uncoupler pin above it? That should be easy enough for someone to test.

Reply to
SocSecTrainWreck

But wouldn't the uncoupler described by the OP, that sits between the

Try some neodymium magnets as sold by All Electronics. These are extremely strong and the one that's .105 x .2 x .4 would probably work well for N scale. At .105 thick it might be just correct for code 83 rail if glued to the tops of ties.

Reply to
Jon Miller

I'm sorry Keith. The OP was asking about magnets that would fit between the rails, without the need to cut the ties. Where exactly did the movable part of his question come into play?

Reply to
Brian Smith

In the message from Robert that I responded to. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Okay, I see where you're coming from with your answer. The way I read that post was that SocSec was asking about a moveable uncoupling magnet, which was answered by Robert, describing the Rix product. That did not mention anything about the product being laid between the rails. You introduced the question of how to secure the magnet in place, to which I responded with the solution I felt was the best.

Reply to
Brian Smith