EMD test cars

I'm looking at kitbashing the two EMD test cars, ET820 and ET840, in N scale to run around with my growing collection of EMD demonstrators.

ET820 is the harder of the two, but a reasonable likeless should be possible by grafting the observation end of a Rowa observation/sleeper onto a Con-Cor Budd car and modifying the windows.

ET840 is slightly easier as it Budd coach car would only need some minor window changes plus extra details.

A few questions.

Do any of the paint manufacturers make EMD blue (from the blue and white demo era) or is there a close match?

Micro Scale only makes decals for the old ET800 test car from when it was white/red and running around with the DD35 demonstrator set. Has anybody else made decals for ET820 and ET840 in N scale, or able to custom make some?

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

I think that the GN Big Sky Blue should be close. Don't forget that the colors would weather, so a lighter shade might be OK.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Scalecoat made that color many moons ago...not sure if they ever made it in Scalecoat II though. Your local hobby packrat might have a bottle lying around :)

Reply to
Craig Zeni

Thanks for the tip. Google reveals that bottle of the stuff have occasionally turned up on Ebay.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage