How to use 2 push buttons per turnout on NCE Switch-it

I just bought some NCE Switch-Its to start automating my Tortoises. I noticed that the factory default is CV548 and CV549 are set to 0 which
causes push buttons 1 and 4 toggle outputs A and B, buttons 2 and 3 are ignored.
I want to use two push buttons per output (SPDT mom-Off-mom toggle, actually). Anything special I need to write into those configuration variables or do I just stuff a "1" in there?
    Vince

Let me throw a monkey wrench into this... Why not use diode routing and reduce the number of buttons even further? Especially on a ladder!..