MBTA Commuter Rail Engine Decals or Shell for F40ph

I want to model an MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) commuter rail F40ph. Are these available or are decals available in HO scale. Does anyone know if they used other diesels and are they available. Thanks

Reply to
Billm

The best plastic F40PH is, IMHO, currently the Walthers version. This has a nice can drive, and runs pretty smooth (reminds me of a ROCO drive). Just remember to get the Undec. F40PH, as you want to make sure that your version does not have the dynamic brake grids and fan (the Undec. can be done either way). The regular decals are available from Microscale, part number 87-751. There is also a Trim Film (plain sheet, IOW) of MBTA Purple (part number TF-42) so that you don't have to mix and match paint for the purple. And don't forget the 2" yellow stripes (part number 91-116) to complete the job. You will need Walthers part number 235-252 K5 Low Profile Air Horn with all bells forward by Details West for the correct horn. You will also need a cab mounted bell. I used Custom Finishing's

247-231 Cab Mount bell for the bracket (modified to fit), and Details West 235-129 for the bell (I had to cut it from it's bracket). To mount, snip off the emergency strobe beacon from between the windshields of the Walthers unit and file smooth. The Walthers F40PH is good for the late 1980's-early 1990's version of the MBTA's first 10 units, #1000-1009. Before the late-1980's, the MBTA F40PH's had red markers on the nose, and after the early-1990's, they all had ditch lights. All MBTA F40's after 1009 are F40PH-2C's, which are much longer than normal F40PH's. Other MBTA units include GP40MC's (which nobody has), old GP9's converted to GP10's, FP10's, E-8A's, and some oddballs from time to time (including the D&H PA-1's and a GP painted in B&M maroon with "MBTA" instead of Boston & Maine). The only cars available are the single level commuter cars from Walthers. The Purple is all wrong and so is the striping. My advice: by Undec.'s and do it yourself.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man