New Downtown Deco kits.

The Trackside Tavern in N, HO & O Scales is now ready to go out. I shipped the first batch of these this week & have another stack
to go out on Monday. It's a very cool looking old brick/stone/stucco tavern with a ton a character. What's especially interesting about this one is it's unique triangle shape, which makes it the perfect structure to shoehorn into that odd little blank lot on a layout. HO Scale DD1041, $58.95 PP, O scale DD46 $89.95 PP, N SAcale DD2009 $46.95 PP. We take visa/mc/discover or paypal (use our email address for payment).
http://www.downtowndeco.com/dd46.htm
Randy Pepprock Downtown Deco 406-273-0942 snipped-for-privacy@montana.com
On Oct 13, 10:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote:

Your kits are certainly among the best I've yet to see, Randy. The N scale art deco theater you did several years ago is a highlight on my downtown scene.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Bill's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,200 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote:

RP:
Ah, you're sharing that niche with the Triangle Cafe franchise, I see. Your kits are beautifully sculpted, and a lot of them look quite similar to what I see locally. Some, though, like the Addams Ave series, and this one, just don't look right to me. I suspect this is because you are out west...I used to think the Suydam line looked odd, until I looked into things a bit and realized that it looked like everything ever built in California.
I do have to say that I prefer Suydam's take on the bawdier side of entertainment just a bit over your, shall we say, more modern adaptation. Of course, there are others who would say that a prim facade and French terminology is merely a superficial whitewash on the ecdysiastical trade, and the brutally honest approach is therefore indicative of cultural honesty - but I can't agree. Presentation, presentation.
Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and a gappy table.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:58:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

I don't mean to be overly critical, as all quality structure kits are very welcome. But I don't understand some things about this building (the Trackside Tavern). Why does the brickwork end so jaggedly near the top of the walls? And why is it then continued in stone? This makes little sense to me. The brick chimney seems to be directly behind an operable window. And 6" diameter pipes seem to magically support a very thing awning with no structure of its own.
Sorry, I guess I spend too many hours a day designing and drawing actual bulidings as my day job....
Dale
Dale Carlson wrote:

Is this one of those contests where we have to write an explanation?
Obviously the building was originally stone, but after the first explosion the local brickworks were in production, so the damaged section was rebuilt in brick. The second explosion mostly went upwards and only damaged the tops of the walls and the original tarpaper roof. The window is there for ease of clearing the vultures which like to nest in unused chimneys - the business of course catering mostly for the ski-season tourists. The awning is mostly held aloft by the extreme desert winds so the heavyweight pipes are there to hold the awning down. See, it's simple when you know ...
I wrote:

Sorry for the typo- "thing" should have been "thin".
Dale

Yes :)

OK, so after the explosion, only the upper bits remained in place. The rest was filled in from below with brick. Makes sense to me.

A second explosion? Is this a trackside tavern or a trackside meth lab? Hmmm... that might be an idea for an upcoming contemporary structure kit :)

Yes, it all makes sense now. I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks, Greg.
Dale