New To N-Scale

Hi guys,

I am new to N-scale and have decided to give Unitrack by KATO a go. I saw it at the Big E in Springfield and really liked it. Here's some questions. Can someone tell me what I need to get up and running? I plan on getting a KATO powerpack and perhaps the K1 and K2 starter sets. Anything else I need to get going out of the box? Special wires, connectors? What comes with the powerpack? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Cannonball

Reply to
Cannonball

You'll probably want some trains. :-)

I use Kato Unitrack and am very satisfied with it. Kato uses special plugs on their turnouts so you'll probably need a couple of their extension cords. The new Kato powerpack has direct connectors for the turnout control switches. Kato's site

should answer a lot of your questions.

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

I've been buying trains left and right, now I need track to run them on. The cords for the turnouts don't come with the switches? I think the switch controllers are seperate also, correct?

Cannonball

Reply to
Cannonball

The cord with the turnout is about 30" long, so you're likely to need extensions. There's also a 3-way extension which makes it easier to operate two (or three) turnouts from a single control switch.

The K2 set includes two #6 turnouts, two control switches, a DC converter for operating the DC switches from the AC accessories outlet on your powerpack (not needed with the new Kato pack), plus track for a siding. If you buy the turnouts separately then, yes, you'll need to buy the control switches separately ... unless, of course, you choose to control them by other means (different switches, DCC, or etc.).

Check the website for complete product listings and details and/or print out one of their brochures.

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon