Newbie question :) be kind...

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:23:11 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Greg, what I am indicating is that the word English is never, ever spelled with a lower case first letter. I am indicating that if you believe those words are different then you are dumber than a box of hammers. Now I feel like I need a shower.

I've been so cruel to the hammers.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:44:18 GMT, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Brian Smith" instead replied:

Eh?

Not to Greg. He's lost this one and is looking for any points he can score. Give him a point so he'll stop.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:27:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

You mean you broke into the Port-A-Potty once. That doesn't count.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:21:46 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Imperial US? Are you serious?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:57:28 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

No kidding. Deal.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:00:23 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Nice one, Greg.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:30:58 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Um, no. Not ever. You're trying too hard, Greg.

Good grief, mate. It's pronounced haitch by Aussies when speaking the letter name but when spoken as in Holden it's not enunciated as you wrote it at all. It's just Hold-en. Nothing more.

I have no idea to what you are referring.

You sound different to everyone, Greg. Not just Aussies.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"Imperial US" is Greg's entire shtick. He's fixated on it. If you mention "Imperial" or "US" he falls into his rant. Words trigger Greg, context is to abstruse for Greg.

Paul N.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Who tells you these silly stories?

Reply to
Greg Procter

If you believe your two meanings of English are the same then you're dumber than the box the hammers came in! Why do you always feel the need to get personal???

Reply to
Greg Procter

So you tell me the correct collective term for US measurement systems. No one else seems to have come up with a term. Or are you suggesting that the US isn't imperial - that's a whole other argument and probably not relevant to this ng.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Aww Ray, now you're getting _really_ pathetic - Post editing!

Reply to
Greg Procter

LOL! She wasn't there, but you have described her very well.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I agree. Many years ago I used to exchange tapes with people all over the world and American, like English & Australian depends a lot on the education level of the person speaking. I could hardly understand one person from New Orleans, another, from California had an easy listening, pleasant but obviously American accent. I can usually guess if a person comes from eastern or western America as the intonation is different - I cannot describe exactly what it is. I was born on the wrong ? side of Windsor Castle walls ( in the town)( which is probably why I currently only have 15 dollars in my wallet until next pension day VBG) and have lived in 3 African countries until I came to Oz in 1966. I have noticed that the Oz accent is less obvious here in the West than in the Eastern States, probably because about 40% of the older people here were born overseas, even though we use the same Australian word variations.

I too dislike the so-called upper class English accent, they sound so false, as if they have a plum stuck up their posterior.

Reply to
Alan

Easily cured with prunes.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I do Cockney as well as Uppercrust. Just as I speak basic Southern American as well as Midwestern in addition to my Connecticut New England/Bostonian.

Reply to
B'ichela

Are scientists real people? Is someone drinking out of a liter bottle a real person?

The two systems go side by side in the US. Some disciplines use one more than another (science outside of rocketry in metric, cooking almost NEVER in metric), some use both (car repair). Most people have preference for one or the other, but are more comfortable with the one they were born with. Dual speed signs were discontinued because ... they are confusing. Confusing drivers is a bad move. *

Reply to
PV

Says who? *

Reply to
PV

Except you do it incorrectly. *

Reply to
PV

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:45:31 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and pv+ snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (PV) instead replied:

Actually, this is spot-on. The dual signs went away because of legal challenges where someone claimed to be driving in MPH at the KPH rate because the sign indicated it was legal.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad