Newbie question :) be kind...

ROTFLMAO.

Best yet!

Reply to
Wolf K.

Oui!

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

So how much is a litre of petrol these days?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Me on this occassion!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Quite possibly - If I knew all the answers I would be here discussing the subject.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Britain made the imperial system the norm in about a third of the world.

Err, yes there is! Take the "gallon" as an example, you yanks mean something quite different to we English speaking people.

2280Lb? That's a ton in English speaking countries. 1,000kg is a tonne. Of course everyone says "tonne" - we all know what it is because it is a standard measurement in 95%* of the world. *on a population basis.
Reply to
Greg Procter

Once, as an exercise, I noted all the variations I could find of Prussian P8s/DRG BR38s. Such things as different boilers/domes(6), cab types(3), valve gears(4), tenders(6), smoke deflectors(3) and so on. I multiplied each number by the next to get the total number of possible variations and came up with a result that was slightly bigger than the total number built (circa 3,500)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not at all: just take the scale dimension, multiply it by 1.15 in your head and divide by 100. No problem!

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'll add my thruppence three farthings, two groats and the quarter farthing I found in gran'dad's pocket. I'll keep the piece o' eight.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You can't slice 2" thick boards off 4" stock???

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:59:32 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Anywhere from $2.73 to $3.25 per gallon.

Nobody in America uses petrol. Petroleum is what gasoline used to be before it became refined. Refined is probably a word that you need to look up, Greg.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:06:53 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Actually, both a ton or a tonne may be used as standard measurement in 100% of the world. Which part doesn't know how to convert?

Oh, wait. New Zealand.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I asked for ther price per _Litre_ Ray. You assured me that metrics were acceptable in the USa. I don't want the price per gallon because I don't know what a US gallon is, nor do I want to know./

Tell me the quoted price per Litre in the USa.

I also know about oil, petroleum, gasoline aand _petrol_. If you bothered to check the situation out you would find that producing "gasoline" and "petrol" were to somewhat different refining processes originally.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No-one can rationally convert from "tons" to tonnes" without first knowing _which_ "ton" one is going to start with.

There are (at least) two different "tons" in standard measurement use throughout the world. I know the English ton is 2280lb and the US ton is 2,000lb.

See Ray, now _you_ know too!

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 1/21/2008 1:21 PM Roger T. spake thus:

Well, much as I hate to do so, I have to concede on this point. Oh, there may be some American actors who do a *fair* British accent. But nothing to match the (to me) breathtaking abilities of such actors as Hugh Laurie ("House"), who speaks just about(1) perfect Americanese. Astoundingly good. Could pass anywhere here. (The other one would be Tracy Ullman.)

*1 I say "about" because I've heard him twice break his perfect accent, by falling back on the British pronunciation of "laboratory". Twice in the same scene; I'm surprised the director didn't catch it. But otherwise flawless.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:31:04 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Did you miss the part about the US not using petrol? If so, read it again. They don't use petrol so there won't be a price per liter on it. Ever. Deal.

Then you are really, really dumb. Dumber than I first believed. I at least know what a liter is and can deal with metric. You claim to be the smartest man in the model railroad hobby and you can't even figure out what a US gallon is. How disturbing for you.

Go to the web site and use your superpower brain to convert it.

Can't do it? No surprise.

You're insane.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:37:14 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Yet again establishing that a New Zealander is just too dumb to do the conversion required to make the world united. You are the great divider on this newsgroup, Greg.

Nope. I'll give you 5 real dollars if you find the answer yourself. No kidding PayPal funds await you.

And you'll never see that fiver. Guaranteed.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On 1/21/2008 10:17 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

We *do* use petrol; we just don't *call* it petrol.

Unless you're trying to tell us that UK petrol wouldn't burn in a N. American car. I though that was Greg's line.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hey dung-head, I know exactly what a litre is - it's the US gallon I don't know.

Of course I can figure out what a US gallon is - I don't want to and my your story I have no need to as the US uses both Litres and US gallons.

It's not my fault you can't do it. For that matter, why should it be done - you tell us that "Litres" is equally acceptable as US gallons in the US. Stop changing your story.

That would make you ignorant.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Am I the only one who can't convert an unknown weight to metrics? That seems unlikely!

Five of those Aussie dollars isn't worth toilet paper!

Reply to
Greg Procter