Newbie question :) be kind...

I've always considered time machines to be proven impossible because no-one ever comes back. (nor forward)

Of course it may just be that we live in the worst ever time.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:35:25 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Neither of those statements is at cross purposes. There are dual standards in the US. A merchant can CHOOSE which method to use or he can CHOOSE to use both. For practicality, most chemists (not pharmacies in the US) sell their chemicals by the gram, kilogram or tonne. Some don't. They sell by ounce, pound or ton. The point is that they can sell using either standard and do so legally. But, now here's the part you don't really get, they CANNOT sell without having ANY standards applied. Well, not legally. I could sell a handful of anything but if you wanted to question the sale later by stating that my handful was an illegal measure, you'd be in the right. Such is the standards system and why it's there. Acceptance by the general population isn't at all relevant or to the point. It's just you reaching for a single thing you can call a win. This wasn't ever about the hoi polloi embracing metric or Imperial. You just try to steer it that way. It won't work.

Let me ask you something. Can an item be sold in ounces in NZ? Legally, I mean? Forget that nonsense about whether or not you can convert it correctly. Just the simple question. Can an item be legally sold in ounces in NZ?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

In jelly form, just prior to a finger wave?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Actually you can still buy rough sawn to by fours but most people prefer them S4S (Surfaced four Sides). Splinter Suck!

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

More than a liter of Pepsi, less than a 750ml bottle of Captain Morgan.

Reply to
Rick Jones

It depends on whether or not you are working on the roads and care about all the different variations in width. A road engineer when talking about a paving spec would list the with of the road and then how long a section. The reason the 2 is listed first on lumber I believe you will find is a result of mill inventory practices. often times lumber will be rough sawn

2X what ever the largest width possible (2X18) and the ripped to make the needed dimension based an sales (a 2X8 and a 2X10).
Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

True, we do not like to be grouped with Americans which is why the continent were we live is correctly named, North America. We are, like the Americans, Mexicans, Cubans, Barbadians, Burmudans etc., all North Americans.

We are NOT "Americans" and, with all due respect to our brothers to the south, we do not want to be "Americans".

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

And cheaper than a 500ml bottle of water.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Of course it is. That is precisely the relevance or point.

No, it cannot be sold by a manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, etc. Otherwise it is like your "handful". An individual can sell by the handful, plastic bag, sack ...

Reply to
Greg Procter

rough sawn is still a full 2" how ever the stock that Surfaced 2X's are made from is indeed smaller than that in the fifties this is due to improved saw technology that delivers a better cut. the lumber industry realized that it would be much easier to cut rough 2X stock smaller and have less waste than it would be to listen to a million pissed off carpenters about how now one made a standard 2X

Reply to
jeffrey David Miller

Ta!

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:48:34 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Siamese twin Corgis? How tragic.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:47:19 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Greg, that is NOT what you originally stated. Period. You've morphed it into that but your statement was NOT about acceptance. Look it up and quit your lying. Your tongue will turn black.

Then your country is so backward that it doesn't allow for Imperial measures to be used?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Billy goes to the timber yard, Billy, "My Dad sent me to get a length of 4"x2" Yard worker, "How long does he want it?" Billy, "Ohh, I think he wants to keep it!"

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Would that be British Pounds , US pounds or European pounds, I think all 3 are different, a Eurpean Pound being a 1/2 kilogram.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 02:03:25 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Jan\(Bouli\)Van Gerwen" instead replied:

One of the three has switched to Euros.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Imperial? I thought we were discussing US measures, which I have been assured may not be called "Imperial".

Reply to
Greg Procter

Err, well, I was taught about "Imperial pounds" in my childhood, so you should assume I mean those. ;-) So what's a US pound???

Reply to
Greg Procter

It was antiquated, out of date, outmoded, archaic, so they got rid of it.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Perhaps he's attempting to develop a new strategy? He's old one is tired and lame. It's why I killfiled him years ago and if you'd stop quoting him I'd not have to read his nonsense.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse