Newbie question :) be kind...

As Canadians are "Americans" and "North America" doesn't exist in Greg's Altlas, I don't see why not. :-)

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:58:29 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Roger T." instead replied:

The poor newbie who asked the original question must rue the day he asked it almost as much as he regrets the first reply by the above mentioned inflexible modeler. If he's still reading this thread, I feel compelled to remind him that he does not represent all New Zealanders. Most of them are intelligent.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Of course I'm unable to calculate the volume of the gallon - there are _two_ different gallons in common usage. (with 25% difference between them) You are an Australian, who of course would be talking about the Imperial gallon, except that we're discussing it on a US subject ng.

You need to repeat your year one if you think the situation is clear.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 1/24/2008 4:53 PM Christopher A.Lee spake thus:

By that faulty reasoning, the language most people speak in Mexico shouldn't be called "Spanish", as Mexicans don't speak good Castillian Español.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:10:56 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

There's only one type of gallon in use in the United States, Greg. If you are incapable of determining the volume of that gallon you are far more ignorant than I first gave you credit for.

Why would I be doing that, Greg? How stupid are you? In a discussion based on a US gallon, I would use a US gallon for conversion. Why you are confused is beyond any logic. You're only pretending to be confused just so you can prove some obscure point. In fact, you always use Google to find out everything else you pretend to be an expert about. Why not use it right now to search for the volume of a gallon. Don't even bother to put in the US part. Just put in one word. Gallon. Use Google now and respond to me with your results. Just take the first thing you see.

Oh, look at you playing "I know you are but what am I?" You're pathetic, Greg. You are pig ignorant and choosing to remain that way. Life must be so, er, good for you.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:19:20 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Well, dodo, you'd do it because you need to see that there are other spellings for words than the one you use. Man, you are dense.

Bull. I've never questioned your spelling. It's far too bad for that. I never even indicated your spelling was wrong. I simply used the word liter and you called me on it.

You should do that before you point the finger at another.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Why would I be reading a US dictionary? I'm a New Zealander.

Eddie, go back and read the sequence of postings - I have _not_ questioned or commented on the spellings of words here. Ray Haddad and someone else here are arguing that _my_ spelling of 'Litre' is wrong. They obviously believe that they should only use spellings known to and approved by Ray Haddad.

Stop being arrogant and get your facts right before posting!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Get you facts right before you add to insults - I did _not_ complain about US speelings - never have.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Ray's not discerning, he will argue with anyone!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Of course "North America" exists. _I_ didn't argue about US spellings.

Reply to
Greg Procter

They have never said that your spelling of litre is wrong, they have simply pointed out that it is not the spelling most commonly used in the US. If you cannot distinguish those two propositions, you are truly beyond hope.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

Is that why he argues with you?

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

On 1/24/2008 5:30 PM Eddie Oliver spake thus:

Right.

American spelling 101 (remedial) for Greg P:

o color o honor o center o theater o liter o meter o defense o -ize instead of -ise endings o aluminum

etc., etc., etc.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Neither you nor I are in the USa.

Of course I'm capable of determining the volume of the US gallon - however you told me I didn't need to as both gallons and Litres are in everyday use there.

Why would I assume you - an Australian in Australia - would be talking about a _US_ gallon when we both know full-well that you were taught to calculate in Imperial gallons?

I'm not in the least confused. If you don't specify then I have to assume you're talking in terms of the measurements I know you use.

Exactly what measurements would this gallon be expressed in? Considering you hadn't defined which gallon it was you were talking about the exercise would be pointless.

#1.

This educational site tells me:

- two cups equals a pint.

- two pints equals a quart.

- two quarts equals a half gallon.

- two halves equals a gallon.

#2. gallon

2 entries found. Main Entry: gal·lon Pronunciation: 'ga-l?n\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English galon, a liquid measure, from Anglo-French galun, jalun, ultimately from Medieval Latin galeta pail, a liquid measure Date: 13th century : a unit of liquid capacity equal to 231 cubic inches or four quarts ? see weight table

Well, I know 6x-something inches = a litre, so somebody's gallon is a bit less than four litres. That is _probably_ a US gallon, but the description is about useless.

Ray, if you're going to make stupid insults don't expect me to teach you better quality ones than you're capable of understanding.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You're dreaming Ray. I don't care how you mis-spell words so long as I get what you mean.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I haven't argued about the spelling of the word. It's all your story - you're arguing with yourself, keep me out of it.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sure.

Reply to
Greg Procter

If you can't spell that is entirely your problem. If you're going to be so arrogant as to demand wrong spellings, that also is your problem.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

On 1/24/2008 6:29 PM Greg Procter spake thus:

"Can't spell"??? Are you trying to tell me that every dictionary I own (I've got 6 or 7, including my family's old Merriam-Webster unabridged) is wrong? (Yes, they're *American* dictionaries.)

As the consensus here appears to be, you're not only an arrogant prick but a stupid s*****ad as well.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You are indeed beyond hope.

The only way they would be arrogant is if they expected YOU to adopt THEIR spellings. They don't; they simply accept that different people spell things differently. YOU are the only one who is making value judgments on other people's spelling, as exemplified by your appalling statements reproduced above.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver