Newbie question :) be kind...

After googling I found that both the American and Imperial pound are 454 grams, makes me wonder if a Quarter Pounder at McD in the Netherlands is 125 grams or 113,5 grams :-)

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:39:45 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Sorry, mate. Habit.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:18:57 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Goodbye, Greg.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Still made of "animal by-products". :-)

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Just wondering about the weight, you don't think I would actually eat at McD.

Getting to far off topic now though.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan(Bouli)Van Gerwen

Wrong doc!

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On 1/22/2008 4:39 PM Roger T. spake thus:

We (Americans) understand. Hell, everyone understands. Only Greg Procter doesn't understand it.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

NOW!!! This thread hasn't been on topic for dozens of posts!! Why worry about being OT now!???? *8^))

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:14:41 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Liar! It's been HUNDREDS of posts since it was on topic. Neener!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I'd guess mostly fat.

Reply to
Greg Procter

What is an order of magnitude amongst posters??

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Steve Caple

Evian spelled backwards is . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

Um, no. *

Reply to
PV

The US system is never called "Imperial", and differs in some places from Imperial weights and measures. Like our language is defined by what everyone is using, our measurements systems are a standardized version of whatever caught on.

I know a lot of Kiwis and find them very easy to get along with. I don't think Greg is a cranky nitpicking freak because he's from new Zealand. Every place has a few of those. *

Reply to
PV

Yes, because it is! Go to a grocery store and you can find 16 ounce (pint) bottles of coke right next to half liter ones. Admittedly the 16 ounce bottles mostly exist for nostalgia reasons (they're usually glass instead of plastic for the same reason), but they're not hard to find. Cans of coke are 12 ounces, just to drive home the point. There you have it, one product using both systems at the same time. *

Reply to
PV

You need to buy yourself an Atlas (book of maps of the World) You may be surprised!

Reply to
Greg Procter

I accept that I made a mistake in refering to US measurements in that way.

What is the standard called? We need a name because the world standard is broadly called "Metrics" and the UK standard is called "Imperial".

Reply to
Greg Procter

Can I buy a litre of petrol?

Reply to
Greg Procter

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:39:08 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@mail.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Ooh, I like it! This may be the first decimal based or fractional order of magnitude multiplier in model railroading history.

People of the newsgroup, mark this day on your calendar. Remind your children, your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren of this day. Never forget it.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad