Newbie question :) be kind...

One of my New Zealand motors has run in the US, but I've never taken one to the UK. However the product appears interchangable.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Then perhaps he'll give you 5 NZ dollars, which are worth even less - but you sure have your own brand of inflation if you "know" an English ton is 2280 lb.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

Sorry guys, you are BOTH wrong.

1) There is no such thing as an "English ton". 2) An "Imperial ton" is 2240lbs, NOT 2280lbs!

If you're going to argue at last get the math and terminology correct.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Nor benzin nor benzina.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Fair dinkum, as sheep have so often given ozzies a rise.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:50:55 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

With Greg, it's almost always down to semantics and his lack of understanding of the English language. Clearly, you managed to see what he cannot.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Are you as incapable of seeing the gist of an argument as he is? The very point I was making was that he was wrong by "inflating" 2240 to

2280, and presumably that was one of Ray Haddad's points also. Moreover it is playing with words to try to distinguish an English ton from an Imperial ton, since the latter is what is used in England, which makes it operationally the English ton.
Reply to
Eddie Oliver

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:45:05 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Greg Procter instead replied:

Dung head? Oh, dear. You lose more ground when you slip into ad hominem.

You just stated it was impossible. Make up your mind, Greg. Either you're too stupid (something you cannot help) or you're ignorant (something you can help). Either way, you claimed you couldn't ever figure it out. Now you state that you can.

The fact is that gasoline COULD be sold legally in the US by the liter. That's what having dual standards is all about. There are still pumps (or there were in 2005 when I last traveled across the USA by car) that dispense fuel and indicate both measures.

You remain the expert in being ignorant, Greg. Petrol is the quaint little name for gasoline here in Oz and NZ. Petrol is short for petroleum, not gasoline. Your car runs on either diesel or gasoline.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 00:10:33 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Roger T." instead replied:

Hey! Knock it off! You're not supposed to help Greg!

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I think others have been through this already. That's not the way it's done. *

Reply to
PV

But not in North America, which was the entire point.

I said, IN NORTH AMERICA. Pay freaking attention. *

Reply to
PV

The word "petrol" is never used in the US.

What was the point of that sentence anyway? *

Reply to
PV

Don't forget those Hessian mercenaries (deserting or remaining after the peace, some of them were the ancestors of my maternal grandmother).

Reply to
Steve Caple

">> As an example. It was the "British Army" that fought the revoloution, not

Yes Steve. An important part, at that time, of the British Army. The Brits and Germans had always, I believe, been allies up until until W.W. I. Heck the British royal family is more German than British and some could barely speak English. The royal family name was "Battenburg" until the royals changed it to "Windsor" and the non-royal branch to "Mountbatten" in W.W.I. It was the arrival of the German army that turned the tide in favour of Wellington at Waterloo.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

"Never"??? It certainly isn't common usage. Paul N.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Sorry, 2240lb. We went totally metric in 1974 so I haven't needed the conversion 'Lbs:Tons' in 34 years.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I admit I was wrong - I learned it at school about 50 years ago and haven't needed that conversion in 34 years.

Reply to
Greg Procter

In referring to gasoline? Yeah, I'll stick no "never". *

Reply to
PV

Yupp, we use "gas" here in New Zealand: Coal gas. - no longer available but used during WWII petrol rationing. LPG. - sold at petrol stations for cars with LPG conversions. CNG. - sold at petrol stations for cars with CNG conversions. Oxygen. - for gas welding. Acetyline. - for gas welding. Argon. - ditto. Hydrogen. etc.

For years I read about "Gas/electrics" in Model Railroader magazine and wondered how they got any respectable mileage from them without having huge gas bags attached. (assuming in the 1920s the gas would be coal gas)

Reply to
Greg Procter

I admit I got the conversion wrong - we no longer use tons but I was relying on childhood memory - I'm sorry - I was wrong - wrong - wrong - wrong ...

There's still that difference between the "Imperial ton" and "US ton". One cannot write "ton" in an international forum and expect anyone to know what ton is being considered.

Reply to
Greg Procter